Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first of all, let me start off by saying thank you to everyone on this forum. i have been browsing through it for days on end, gaining knowledge to my unanswered questions re: the FJ. however, some questions still linger...

quick background info: my brother got an FJ right when they came out and i thought it was a very cool vehicle to say the least. then it happened.......i got the FJ bug and haven't been able to get it out of my mind for a couple of months now. i would go online daily and "build" my dream FJ and stare at it, spin it around, look at the interior, then back to the exterior, etc. etc.

my timing was good- the san diego auto show was coming to town so i drove one on the off-road adventure course.....and that led me on my quest to start "dealing" with dealerships.....

i was under the impression that i could go to a dealership and "order" the FJ based on what i want. well, i've learned that the FJ's come to town with certain packages/options, etc. and the dealer will try to "find" one as close to the one you want. some have come close- but there's always something that changes the outcome...i.e. the color isn't right, no roof rack, etc.
so far i haven't been able to "custom order" an FJ from a dealer.

the basics that i want:

Titanium Silver
Convenience Package and Upgrade Package #2
Curtain Airbags
Running Boards (probably change to rock rails in future)
Roof Rack
--------
now....i also want the following but am wondering are these always put on after the vehicle arrives to port? or should they come from Japan with these already installed:

Tow Hitch
TRD performance Exhaust
TRD Air Filter
*Sirius Satellite Radio ("Factory Installed")...see question about satellite radio below.

i know that the other things i want are incidentals that can be added after the vehicle arrives. or should everything come together all at once:

Spare Tire Cover
Wheel Locks
All Weather Mats/Cargo Mat 5-pc set
Passenger Side Arm Rest
Rear Door Storage
VIP Security
GPS Navigation (portable Garmin unit)

i guess my main concerns are the TRD items and the roof rack (are the roof racks installed when they get here or should they arrive from japan already installed?)

*i'm a lifetime Sirius Satellite subscriber and so far no one has been able to answer my question re: what exactly is "factory installed" satellite radio on the FJ? (my brother has an odyssey van with XM satellite integrated with the navigation unit and it's incredible).

for the FJ, they're listed as $449 but what does that actually include? just a little FM converter box behind the head unit or is it actually a different head unit?
and what type of antenna is used- just those little magnetic stick-on types that are used with the portable units?

i really want factory installed Sirius on the FJ instead of a portable plug & play unit like i have now.
in summary, does "factory installed" sirius satellite come already installed from japan ready to go- or do they have to open up the dash and install something after you've bought the vehicle?

ALSO- (i apologize for so many questions, but i can't contain my excitement!)

how exactly is the portable GPS unit hooked up? is that little compartment on the dash there just to hold it, or is it actually hooked up to the stereo with voice recognition, etc.??
and does one buy the portable Garmin unit separately (from Fry's, etc.) or is it something that "comes" with the FJ if it's ordered?

thank you in advance for arming me with more valuable FJ information....i appreciate any insight you can give!

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Anni, Anni, Anni,

You are making this way too complicated. Just wheel and deal for the best terms you can with as many features as possible in the Titanium color (if that's what you want). Of course, the sooner you buy the sooner the fun begins.

Everything else is just part of the journey....

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Don't be to quick to have all the bells and whistles arrive with your FJ you will see many aftermarket parts that will make you wish you hadn't bought them with your FJ. In many cases it will save you some cash to.

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
The hitch, exhaust and air filter are easy installs at home and you can get them cheaper online. No worries. Don't know about the sat. radio.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I have to agree with all here on the "buy now, mod later" theme. I spent more $$$ on a TRD that fell my way and, don't get me wrong I love it, but considering how I will use it, wish I chose differently, spent less on the original purchase and added the items I really wanted. It would have been much less expensive and I would have gotten what I really wanted.

A lot of the items that Toyota puts in as upgrade packages can be had for much less coin after the fact.

Just my .02 worth. Buy what you can now and let the fun begin... add more later. You will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Besides the rear diff and air bags, you can do everything else your self and save financing that stuff over time. But good luck finding an FJ without at least a few installed options you would otherwise pass on.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
The following are the only "hard options" that are installed/designated prior to shipment to America:
Titanium Silver
Convenience Package and Upgrade Package #2
Curtain Airbags

The rest of the items you listed including the Sat radio are installed at the port facility and therefore could be added at the dealer if necessary at additional cost.

The head unit is the same on all UP or UR equipped FJs, the satellite radio tuner and "fit kit" is added after production and is integrated for control by the radio head unit itself. Yes, the antenna is added and it is the magnetic mount like the portables.

The Garmin Quest II is available from other sources and the Toyota "fit kit" for it includes it's own speaker on the mount/docking panel itself. See below:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts