Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Inasmuch as I hated the bulbous OEM rear light covers as much (or more) than anyone, I decided to do something about it. Justin Holt at RockTek Engineering had previously designed and fabbed my tube front bumper and plate rear bumper, as well as my sliders and lower control arm skids, so I had him see what he could come up with to replace the rear lights. The following pictures are the result. They're metal with a very bright LED light, and they conform to the body lines much better than the OEM covers. When I say they look much better in person than they do in the pictures I'm not exaggerating. I don't know what the final retail price will be but as soon as it's determined I'll post it. I do know they'll be available painted to match the FJ color.

Jim

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
:sick:

At least you don't have to look at them while driving. Maybe they would look better to me if I saw them from a distance.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I cant see the photos

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I cant see the photos

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
They look kinda cool, lets see them lit up!!!:rocker:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Can you take pictures from further back?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I believe lights need some sort of DOT approval?

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bling bling Jim
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black; and for all those requesting pictures of the lights lit up, as soon as it quits raining here in Crested Butte I'll take some and post them.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
I can't believe I missed your rig at the summit, Jim. I wanted to check out the cool bumpers, but I'm sure the lights look awesome, too...

Edit: And, I was aiming as best as I could... Hey, we're making plans for the next M&G in Dallas for next month. Maybe you'll be there and I can see the mods then.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I believe lights need some sort of DOT approval?

Technically, yes, but look at all the custom cars, street rods, etc, most are running non dot lights. If those were red I doubt it'd ever be a problem, but black lenses like that are just asking for a ticket.

·
Registered
77 Posts
pics please ... maybe a few farther away, and not so close up...

very nice....

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
If I recall Texas DOT specs correctly, the lens color means nothing - the light is what counts (that's why all of those funky clear lenses pass yearly inspections).

Reflectors, however, are a different story. Red in the back (or rearward portion of vehicle), yellow in front.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Look Great Jim, I gotta talk to Justin about those.. He told me of them when he was doing my body mount chop, they turned out great!

Tx Inspections are iffy... I just got mine inspected and was told you 'failed' Reasoning: LED's, Blacked out lens, and a modified exhaust that lets out under the FJ.. Took it to place #2: passed, no questions....

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Unlike the bumper, which has still not been made except yours
Unfortunately, his laser cutter requires quantities of at least 10 or the cost is prohibitive......and Justin doesn't have the resources to produce quantities like that without them being pre-sold. Hopefully the situation will resolve itself shortly; that way Johathon (BeerHat) and myself won't be the only ones driving around with one of the bumpers, since I think they're one of the top bumpers out there.

Jim

1 - 20 of 165 Posts