Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,767 Posts
B/c I plan to do some target shooting while on vacation for one. For another, I believe one's ultimate safety is not left to chance, nor to someone other than myself. IMO, it's just part of being self sufficient.

Besides, in the middle of nowhere with a broken down rig, a couple of females, and a $100K buggy.....strange things can (and do) happen.

Man's basic nature is evil afterall.

Sean
Cool, thanks.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Personally I would do it!! Because each state has different laws and so do certain counties. Why risk it. Today on the news in Chicago, Illinois a woman was visiting the Sears Tower here but she was visiting from Tennesse. She was arrested for carrying a pistol because it's against the law in Illinois to carry a hidden weapon, although she had her gun card from Tennesse! 7/5/07
Is that supposed to read you "wouldn't" do it?

Sean

·
Registered
87 Posts
Personally I would do it!! Because each state has different laws and so do certain counties. Why risk it. Today on the news in Chicago, Illinois a woman was visiting the Sears Tower here but she was visiting from Tennesse. She was arrested for carrying a pistol because it's against the law in Illinois to carry a hidden weapon, although she had her gun card from Tennesse! 7/5/07
That is because there isn't a reciprocity agreement between Illinois and Tennesee. Illinois is very restrictive, much like the other bastions of liberalism such as CA, MA and NY.

·
Registered
239 Posts
From "My Favorites" bookmarks - Here is the Colorado Bureau of Investigation's list of states that recognize Colorado's CCW Permit through reciprocity - If Colorado's Permit is valid in your state, yours is probably valid in Colorado. Your state's web site should have a similar page showing the states that recognize your state's CCW permit. Please verify with your permit authority before you carry, concealed, in Colorado.

LINK

Colorado does allow "home rule" legislation by cities. Be careful of the People's Republics of Boulder and Denver. Please check some of the links earlier in this thread for details regarding auto and personal carry.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
I've been warned about Aurora, open carry will get a person charged with "enciting a riot" as the "sheeple" there are afraid of their own shadows. Now I don't mean to say that all that live in Aurora are like that. Just the "sheeple"..
Big no-no in the city and county of Denver; I was arrested there once for wearing a smallish fixed-blade sheath knife on my belt, bike impounded, etc.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Is that supposed to read you "wouldn't" do it?

Sean
So, this doesn't pertain to carrying, but it does address the varying city, district, county laws regarding possession in a vehicle.

From fbd's link:
http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/st...n/colorado.pdf

18-12-105.6. Limitation on local ordinances
regarding firearms in private vehicles.
(1) The General Assembly hereby finds that:
(a) A person carrying a weapon in a private
automobile or other private means of conveyance
for lawful protection of such person's or another's
person or property, as permitted in sections
18-12-105 (2) (b) and 18-12-105.5 (3) (c) [in a vehicle],
may tend to travel in or through different county,
city and county, and municipal jurisdictions en
route to the person's destination;
(b) Inconsistent laws exist in local jurisdictions
with regard to the circumstances under which
weapons may be carried in automobiles and
other private means of conveyance;
(c) This inconsistency creates a confusing
patchwork of laws that unfairly subjects a person
who lawfully travels with a weapon in or through
one jurisdiction to criminal penalties because he
or she travels into or through another jurisdiction;
(d) This inconsistency places citizens in the
position of not knowing when they may be violating
local laws while traveling in, through, or
between different jurisdictions, and therefore
being unable to avoid committing a crime.
(2)(a) Based on the findings specified in subsection
(1) of this section, the General Assembly
concludes that the carrying of weapons in private
automobiles or other private means of conveyance
for lawful protection of a person's or
another's person or property while traveling into
or through a municipal, county, or city and county
jurisdiction, regardless of the number of times
the person stops in a jurisdiction, is a matter of
statewide concern and is not an offense.

(b) Notwithstanding any other provision of
law, no municipality, county, or city and county
shall have the authority to enact or enforce any
ordinance or resolution that would restrict a person's
ability to travel with a weapon in a private
automobile
or other private means of conveyance
for lawful protection of a person's or another's
person or property while traveling into or
through a municipal, county, or city and county
jurisdiction, regardless of the number of times
the person stops in a jurisdiction.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I called the Silverton PD.....legal to carry in the open in town. However, the person I spoke with said most of the restaurants wouldn't allow it (and if they serve alcohol, I'm pretty sure it's illegal anyway)...so they recommended taking the firearm back to the hotel first.

JFYI.

Thanks for the help guys. :)

Sean

21 - 27 of 27 Posts