Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there guys and gals. So I was doing some research on my options of mounting my jack on my roof rack. All decent looking mounts were $60 and up. I only spent 65 dollars for my jack and I saw no reason to pay more for a mount than my beautiful handyman. So here is what i used:
3- 1-5/8 in Galvanized Brace Bands. ($.95 each)
3- 3/8 in Grade 5 Full Thread Bolts. ($.55 each)
2- 3/8 in Wingnuts ($.30 each)
2- 3/8 in Nuts ($.15 each)
9- 3/8 in Washers ($.15 each)

Total Cost $7.36 with 9% tax added in.
Not too shabby if you ask me.

As you can see in the pictures i set the jack on top of the roof rack to help support it. You can't tell from the pictures but it actually sets on the roof rack extremely well.

Attachments

·
Registered
490 Posts
Nice probably the best home made solution so far.:cheers:

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Good solution for getting it up there. But, looks like you scraped the hell out of your rack getting those brackets over the tubing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good solution for getting it up there. But, looks like you scraped the hell out of your rack getting those brackets over the tubing.
No I bought the rack used for 150 bucks. It was a little scratched up but no actual damage. The Braced Bands fit over it pretty nicely. You have to stretch them out just a little before putting them on. I don't mind a few scratches, after all its just a 4wd toy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey thanks for all the compliments guys. Its extremely sturdy, I cant move it a mm and I tugged on it as hard as I can. I also went out some trails today and it seems to be pretty solid.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
No I bought the rack used for 150 bucks. It was a little scratched up but no actual damage. The Braced Bands fit over it pretty nicely. You have to stretch them out just a little before putting them on. I don't mind a few scratches, after all its just a 4wd toy.
Yeah... no offense intended. I wouldn't care about the scratches either. Others might? In fact, the ebay weight clamps I used scratched the powdercoat right down to the bare aluminum on my rack.

I also bought some clamps similar to these a few years ago to mount my rear and side lights. They work great.

I'm all about being cheap and resourceful. sorry, I came off as snob before. The coffee must not have kicked in and I was being lazy.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
^^^ snob.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts