Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 127 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
HOLY COWY. That is horrible brotha. My 1981 CJ-7 that came from minnesota had less rust than what you have.

Are you sure they didn't sell you a 1997 Toyota Tacoma frame with an FJ body mounted on top???

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
Servco sucks! I think Funjunkie had problems with them too! But lucky for him, he moved to Cali.
Lots of folks have problems with servco because they are a monopoly and where else are ya gonna go?

Chaseman, WOW!! I assume you didnt spring for the underbody coating? Ok My advice, you take thousands of pics and video that you seem to have started on. get every angle, make sure you show vin numbers in the pics if possible. next is gonna take some work.
Step 1. Get it on a lift and pressure wash the hell out of the underside to get all the salt deposits out.
step 2. Dissassemble as much as you feel comfortable with putting back together.
step 3. Get to wire brushing, wire wheeling, sanding, and grinding to get that thing shining as much as you can.
step 4. Naval Jelly. you paint it on to the areas of rust you cant reach with brushes. it chemically stops the rusting process and actually turns the rusted area int a primer.
step 5. If you have a welder or someone who can weld make sure you fill in those swiss cheese spots and mabey gusset others that look to be vulnerable.
Step 6. Coat the hell out of it. Paint first, then get to the underbody spray. Either the tar kind or the more solid stuff like rhino lining but without the grit.

Save what you can now, also save your reciepts and log your time in case you do win out with them. I don't want to sound negative and I wish the best for you but I have heard from many folks that they have denied much less and will shift all the blame to you. Are you still on 4x4boyz? I remember some issues there as well with some of the TTORA folks out that way.
Again, Fight but also do what you can to save your ride if you end up takin it up the butt.
Sorry for ya brotha.
Mike

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
That sucks. Tibaal broke an engine mount, entire new frame.

This guy has his entire frame with rust like i have only seen on 40year old+ vehicles and Servco's answer is "it's your fault"?

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
That sucks. Tibaal broke an engine mount, entire new frame.

This guy has his entire frame with rust like i have only seen on 40year old+ vehicles and Servco's answer is "it's your fault"?
yeah the thing that sucks about servco is that not only being a monopoly in Hawaii is they are not affiliated with toyota USA so they pretty much make their own rules. they may have 5 different shops but if you go to one shop all the rest will get a heads up call to tell ya the same thing if ya go somewhere else. One bro of mine in Nanakuli had to fight tooth and nail to get his front diff seal fixed because he had scratches on the undercarraige. He got the truck back and the whole side of the truck was keyed. they buffed out some of it but wouldnt repaint it. Total BS.

On a lighter note I google mapped directions to Nanakuli from san diego and it actually gave me directions, check out the direction for step 16. lol

16. Kayak across the Pacific Ocean
Entering Hawaii

2,756 mi

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
On a lighter note I google mapped directions to Nanakuli from san diego and it actually gave me directions, check out the direction for step 16. lol

16. Kayak across the Pacific Ocean
Entering Hawaii

2,756 mi
:rofl:

...going try that right now...

I just tried Los angeles, and it said to drive up to Seattle!!! Then Kayak to Oahu!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Wow! The salt air and humidity got your frame. Its like the aircraft carrier environment. I'd sandblast it, prep, and coat it.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Foggy salty air is the culprit. This used to happen to my vehicles when I spent a lot of time in the Hamptons and Montauk.

My FJ is one of the first sold and underneath it looks practically new. CO uses no salt; just mag chloride (which has its own issues but rust is not one of them).

·
Registered
101 Posts
funjunkie's procedure is probably what i'd recommend. I would however add to it; sand blast after you've pressure washed. inspect the frame for weakness. if you think it is not too far damaged, treat with POR15. that stuff is amazing. i treated my FJ with it. you have to paint over the treatment with something, but it will never rust again.

when you make that kayak trip, bring a fishing pole. :)

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
That rust is nasty. I too have been surprised at how much rust is under my FJ considering it is one year old with 7,000 miles and minimal exposure to salt since I usually drive my truck, which is five years old and the underside looks better than the FJ.

This is why it amuses me when I hear so many continually bragging about the superior quality of Toyota. Things are shaping up for this to be the most troubled vehicle I have ever owned, even including a 1973 Chrysler Newport and 1984 Chevy Cavalier. I am very concerned and frankly wonder about investing additional money on mods.

Woodsman = :worried: :worried: :worried:

It is sad that since the FJ is an import vehicle, every brand new FJ has spent some time exposed to the salt of the sea. I also wonder if the frames went through the proper treatment processes.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Absolutely unbelievable!!! My oldest FJ40s never looked that bad.
I agree that it is a saftey issue now and if they don't do somethingt about it there is huge liability resting smack on their shoulders.

BTW...any other island FJs you can compare it to...Interested to see if it is just yours or all of them in the Islands

Now a really stupid question...What is Servco...I've seen the name mentioned many times here, but don't know what it is.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
BTW...any other island FJs you can compare it to...Interested to see if it is just yours or all of them in the Islands
Other FJs are not rusting like this in the area.

Now a really stupid question...What is Servco...I've seen the name mentioned many times here, but don't know what it is.
In Hawaii we do not use Toyota USA like the other 49 states. We use Servco as the source for all vehicles and parts.

·
Mistress of Mud
2,684 Posts
Holy Jeebus! I've never seen anything like that! I have minimal to no rust on mine and it's been dunked is some unsavory places.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
my '98 Taco with 453,000kms on it didn't look like that at all......Did you park it over grass alot??? I have seen school buses from back in the day that got parked over grass for a summer and that will do it....But man even with the amount of salt we have on our roads up here I have never seen anything like that on any vehicle still on the road. Undercoating is sort of a way of life up here though. I do my own with Film Fluid.

Amazing stuff.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
This is shocking!!! I cant figure out why its rusting so badly. Definitely take the time and money to fix the rust or you are going to have a world of problems in the next year....

The FJ could always accidentally burst into flames :) you do live near volcanos right? I hear the 09's are awesome.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Mine is almost 2 years old and has a minimal amount of surface rust which is to be expected....and I live in extreme climates here in Utah.

That is some brutal stuff right there though. My 1st reaction was, this guy must drive on the beach like every day and park his car in the waves overnight. :) In all seriousness though if you just showed me those pics, I would think that would be from a 20-30 yr old rig, at least,...not 2.5.

Good luck on the fight and let us know what happens.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
How can you tell if the frame is weak? I have a body shop looking at it on Monday but am not sure how much they will be able to tell.

21 - 40 of 127 Posts