Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy FJ owners..just purchased my FJ from Salt free Arizona. Any recco on undercoating to keep the harsh mid-west salt form harming my FJ?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
11,793 Posts
I use Rustoleum/Tremclad flat black. It is an oil based paint with a rust converter. Works best if you can give it the appropriate drying time. Been on the program for 13 years and the underside looks dang good.

From observations over the years other encapsulating coatings or waxes require consistent maintenance or yearly applications.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I too purchased an AZ FJ. It was a 2010 that still had grease pencil markings on the frame after 5 years.

I decided to try Fluid Film. It is basically inert lanolin-based grease that simply isolates the metal from the oxygen that causes rust. I have a compressor so I bought a spray kit and buy FF by the gallon (Woolwax is another similar product BTW). I spray it once a year in the fall and touch up with aerosol cans. The only stuff that needs touch up is a few leading edges underneath that get sandblasted in normal use, like the front edge of the lower control arms.

After 4 years I have next to no rust underneath and am pleased with the results and will keep on doing it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks you for your responses. Clearly doing something will help keep the rust away!

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
ideal treatment is in layers: clean and paint all of the surfaces first, then go over that nice new coat of paint with a body wax which protects the paint and seals gaps and lasts for many years, then go over that with FF which really penetrates into small gaps but does tend to wash off so an hour a year to re-coat each fall is wise

Norm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts