Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to install some lights under the dash that would come on and go off like the dome light. Any ideas of how I can wire it up?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Re: Under Dash Lights

I installed red and white LED's which I followed a thread on here...I have the red on with the parking lights,you can not see in the pic. but I also have 3 in the foot wells as well..and in the console

the second pic is what I have are the white that are switched. (the fuzzy yellow light to the left) I also have some in the foolwells. Ive got more pics,but like I said its already on here with step by step,just gotta find it...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,078 Posts

I installed red and white LED's which I followed a thread on here...I have the red on with the parking lights,you can not see in the pic. but I also have 3 in the foot wells as well..and in the console

the second pic is what I have are the white that are switched. (the fuzzy yellow light to the left) I also have some in the foolwells. Ive got more pics,but like I said its already on here with step by step,just gotta find it...
i like the mod you have done i looked at them at Auto ZOne i did not find any in Yellow.. good looking imo

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I just thought it was a bit dark when getting in at night and wanted to have the light come on with the dome light. The wiring is all so protected and sealed in, I thought someone might have some insight as to an easy way of identifying which wires to use.

dan

·
Registered
97 Posts
Those Led Lights seem to work well,Im use to using Street glow tubes. How do you mount Leds Do you drill a hole and glue them into it? They seem to be more tidious to install than tubes?
Im looking to do this next.
If you can help me,I need to know if you pry out the pannel that holds the switches on the console area?
I want to remove the entire switch plate to rearange he switches?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Those Led Lights seem to work well,Im use to using Street glow tubes. How do you mount Leds Do you drill a hole and glue them into it? They seem to be more tidious to install than tubes?
Im looking to do this next.
If you can help me,I need to know if you pry out the pannel that holds the switches on the console area?
I want to remove the entire switch plate to rearange he switches?
I bought all what I need for the LED's at radio shack,there is drilling and you use holders,but I also glued mine in. The first couple were tedious but after that it was kinda fun,in fact it was hard to stop from putting lights alover. I will see if I can find the thread that has the step by step to install these.

as far as the switch panel,you shouldn't have to remove it to rearange the switches you should just be able to pop them out with a small flat tip or butter knife and move them that way,thats how I swapped mine around.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanksfr yur help,I was going to move the switches your way just I cant get my fingers in the hole to pull out the wire plugs,but I guess I can make a mini hook out of wire. I thought mabey the face is held on by clips and you could pry it off so I can get at all of them at once.
What are the switches that you have on yours,I bought the A trac switch and a Woofer switch. So now I have a total of Atrac/Woofer/Aux.lights/Difflock/Back up sens./ Is this all you can get?
I love the fact I got Atrac for 42.00 cmpared to the 2600 bucks this option cost.Are there any outher switches fr this pannel outher than mentioned,Because I have two more blanks with wires to them?
I wish I had heated mirrors,was wounderng if they could be there just needing to be connected or a switch?
The Woofer Switch now what would that control audio to the woofer or 12v to the woofer amp? Im going to hook up my own woofer later on.I know I could ttest the leads,just thought you might know off hand.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I did a new mod today,I bought a stainless handle for a kitchen cabinet and made a hand rest under my touch screen radio.I find my self resting my fingers on the edge of the radio when driving and ajusting it.I was thinking how it would be nice to have rack bar there,so I did this. Then I added two blue LEDs on the bottom edge with a mini toggle.Now Im making a fake radio
face to hide the good one.The white cover will be painted black and im going to glue a face from a cheap single din on to it with a cut cd in the slot...lol
Hope it works. Well the bar was alot more work thn anticipated.You have to take the whole thing apart,its easy 4 screws and 6 release clips to move the board out of the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts

I just thought it was a bit dark when getting in at night and wanted to have the light come on with the dome light. The wiring is all so protected and sealed in, I thought someone might have some insight as to an easy way of identifying which wires to use.

dan
You said you wanted more light at night when getting in? I would recommend bright LED dome lights. I have em' in my rig and the difference from stock is well, night to day.
Good luck :bandit:

·
Registered
521 Posts
I just finished installing LEDs in the square cubby in the center console, cup holders, and under the A/C controls. I used yellow LEDs and sanded them. They match perfectly. I wired them to the interior lights so they turn on with the headlights and dim. I'm working on lights for the glove boxes that only turn on when opened.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Check with a meter At the fuse box and see if any of them energize by pushing the door button on n off with the key turned on .You may find one fuse ou can tap off of. Unless one of these guys have a specific wire for you to use. My self I have relay hooked up under the hood tapped into one of the unused terminals in the fuse box.In return my relay is 40 amps and energizes only when the motor runs ,for my roof lights.If yu want the door to operate your light then try what I said If no luck then find a ignition source "on off" with key and use a switch for your lights.
Or install a door switch by the kick panel very easy to acess there.

·
Registered
97 Posts
NSB can I ask you where did you tap off from for your lights to work with the parking lights? When I had my heater control apart I wanted to put blue LeDs in the knob lights.
But I didnt have the time to look for a source for the parking lites. Nnext time I my change all the dash colors by over powering the stock lights with super brites The only problem would be to get them to work with the dimmer.Now that bumper to bumper warrenty is up I guess the dealer wouldnt care? My dealer is not mod freindly.

·
Registered
291 Posts
NSB can I ask you where did you tap off from for your lights to work with the parking lights? When I had my heater control apart I wanted to put blue LeDs in the knob lights.
But I didnt have the time to look for a source for the parking lites. Nnext time I my change all the dash colors by over powering the stock lights with super brites The only problem would be to get them to work with the dimmer.Now that bumper to bumper warrenty is up I guess the dealer wouldnt care? My dealer is not mod freindly.
pull the cover off the fuse panel (interior) the open slot that works with the parking light is the 4th one from the bottom right. Just use an add a circut, if you need a pic I can get you one.

·
Registered
521 Posts
NJ Georgee, I used the A/C led's power for the accent lights. Search "Dash Lights Mod" and go to the last page it is all there, super easy mod.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I went with Blue (cheesey or not blue works best for my Voodoo) LED Strips from Oznium. Easy, fun and very cheap project. I also have a ton of 5mm and 3mm LEDs for cup holders and console that Im saving for a rainy day.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Blue is never cheesey,and dont let anyone tell you it is.Outherwise the rest of us will have to change our lights..lol
I just put a few super leds in the bottom of my radio cover.I cant think of the correct name for this peice. But anyways The leds are blue and I think blue looks best when you go to buy any lights you always have red and green on the racks but blue is sold out,so it must be popular.I want to do my cup holder but I need the lining in it,so I guess im going to cut a hole about 1/4" in the liner that I line up with the bulb thats attached to the console.
This way I can remove the liner when it needs cleaning. Ah ha im a mod professor!!!
I have to show you my adio disguise its almost done,I should put a blinking ld in this too...lol

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Looks cool. Id like to see it lit up. I love the Blue. On anything.

I was planning on doing the same with my cupholder and console. I only have one cup holder as I have my ipod touch mounted in the drivers side one. Since it too is hardwired i might aim a LED flood underneath for a floating effect to the ipod.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.