Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a set of 5100 on my FJ. Of course to change the struts the skid plate must come off. It was the first time it was removed and one or two came out slightly stripped. I cleaned them up and was careful when I reinstalled. Then I sent it to the dealer for an alignment. They got it right the second try but added a note to the invoice that some of the bolts were stripped and he replaced what he could. Today I was changing the oil and I figured I'd nose arround the skids. I found one of the mounting bolts sheared off on the second plate back.:mofo: I don't think the aligner would have removed that plate, but the bolt needs to be drilled out. Should I send it back to the dealer to fix or just do it myself (I have 1700 miles on it). I'm not sure I trust them at this point. Has anyone else had problems with these bolts. Does any body have the specs (size, threads, etc) or a part number for the bolts.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Here is a good source for those hard to find bolts or nuts.

Products | Fastenal

For the skids bolts, I ordered this

M8x30 DIN151 Plain Hexagon Flange Lock Bolts
Sku: 0161883 ($1.06/each)

Lenght: 30mm
Pitch: 1.25

Diameter: M8
Finish: Plain
Grade: 9.8
Head: Hex
Material: Steel
Specification: DIN 151
Thread: Coarse
Type: Flange Bolt
Wrench Size: 13mm
Product Weight: 0.035 lbs.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To get the shocks out, the sway bar has to go. You drop the cover to get at the sway bar. The alignment guys will drop the forward skid to get at the adjustments. Thanks for the numbers on the bolts.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In case anyone is intrested, the bolts are M8x1.25. the factory bolts run a buck each from the dealer. I ended up drilling out the snapped bolt myself, then cleaned up the threads with a tap. Good as new! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts