Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, All!

I'm thinking of buying FJ from another state and I was sent these underbody pictures, which are concerning, but wanted to hear your opinions how bad you think it is.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Tire Vehicle Wood Bumper

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Not as bad as some I've seen here. If you don't mind doing the mitigation work to clean up the weld rust that is, because you don't want to leave it that way. Rust is like cancer. It spreads from the source. What's the asking price?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I noticed that there are no pics of the front end undercarriage or the engine bay. I bet the front lower bottom engine cover is nothing but rust flakes held together by friction since it's made out of thin steel, but since there are many aftermarket skid plates to choose from, that wouldn't be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Asking price is below FMV for the car.
Not as bad as some I've seen here. If you don't mind doing the mitigation work to clean up the weld rust that is, because you don't want to leave it that way. Rust is like cancer. It spreads from the source. What's the asking price?
$35К ТТUE 81K miles

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Well, the price is decent, but you'd still need to protect the frame if you want your investment to live longer, so it's up to you. Maybe see if they can be talked down a little for you having to deal with the rust mitigation? How about any accident reports, the interior and the engine bay and what year is it? I've got a local Ford dealer here trying to sell a nice looking white 2014 FJ with 71K miles for $39,998. I haven't looked to see about any rust it may have and it's been sitting there for over a month like a forlorn puppy. The rain here tends to make the frame welds rust as well since Toyota screwed the pooch on frame paint, though not a bad as the one in you're pic. Oregon isn't really a road salt state, unless you don't count someone driving their FJ through the ocean surf on the coast, which is a rare idiot thing to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts