Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that it's finally not raining here in MA, its time to get out and sand/coat/paint the rusty spots on my FJ's bare bottom.

In researching what others have done, I've stumbled across other forums that people have used WD40 to coat their undercarriage for the winter and have had success in doing so. You can even find on the WD40 website that they used WD40 to coat spaceships to protect from rust. (if CaliChaos could please provide a link as I cannot find the page now:bigthumb:)

Although I know that this will wear off after time, it seems like an inexpensive less time intensive option. Any thoughts out there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
WD does stand for "Water Displacement", so it's not a surprising possibility.... I wouldn't (personally) think that it would last through a whole "rainy season", especially not a new england winter.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
what about an undercarrage wax

·
Registered
677 Posts
here in ontario canada if you want your vehicle to last you need some form of of rust protection.toyota offers an under coating application that is a tar like substance that is a one time deal and very expensive(stealership)its flaw is that if it peels or is chipped briny water can get behind it and rust wiil eventually occur. there are electronic moduals on the market AGAIN with a different disclaimer as the companies years ago were sued and lost you should aviod these products as there is no imperical evidence that they work on autos.Another product that is widely used here is a petoleum based product generally called oil spraying it does work to some degree but there are lots of issues such as enviromental,messy on the vehicle,and does not adhere to the surface effectively IE.runs verticaly,poolsand is not easy to remove from your driveway ect.the product i have been using is a none petrleum based product by Krown it is applied yearly and is not cheap at about $ 120.00 a year but very effective. My 02 taco which i sold to buy my fj was rust free with 178.000 kms on it and for top dollar i might add.These are just a few products out there i'm sure there are more if you do some research.these are just some of my opinions from having owned several vehicles and had a few rust out,i hope this helps a little as it can get confusing and nobody wants to take chances with thier favorite vehicle.There may be somebody in the forums who has more knowledge on this maybe they will chime in with some advice as well.so good luck and happy trails:clap:

·
Registered
599 Posts
I always try to wash as well as I can underneath the FJ. Just a gentle wash everytime I clean/wash it, with frequent undercarriage inspections. I also had mine undercoated at the shine factory with a heavy, bitumen based undercoat. So far, so good.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
WD 40 evaporates....The "skim" of oil that is left behind is very prone to washing off in water. Rust protection from it would be minimal. I have seen guys mix it with thicker oils to undercoat. The WD creates a catalyst effect enabling the heavier oil to penetrate into smaller cavities in metal and paint. Think "watered down" or "thinned out" oil. Once the distilates in the WD evaporate the heavier oil is left behind.

My 98 Taco had over 435,000km on it when I sold it last fall...(I think I have mentioned the truck in a couple threads...lol) and I sprayed the undercarriage with Film-Fluid every fall. Just pick a hot afternoon and lay it on as think as you like. This oil is expensive (spray bomb approx $12) but I have never seen any oil creep (disburse) like this stuff. You can bet I soaked down the FJ last fall. I usually use 6 cans to cover everything.

Now the plan backfired cuz when Toyota recalled 95-99 Tacos the guy who bought mine would not stand a chance getting a big pay out for a rusty frame....Damn me for looking after my truck...lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts