Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Looking at a 2013 FJ to buy. Relatively decent mileage (80k ish). I had a remote inspection completed and this is the view of the undercarriage. It's had one side panel replaced and another with a little body fill, but I think that was from some off roading since there's no accident report.

Anyways, figured you guys would have a better opinion on the underside of this FJ.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iTn0D5JL7BxeI82eXTs92bwt-ddSYSvR

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
In the world of rust, this is pretty minimal.

Where is the vehicle coming from? Regardless of where it's going to live, I'd do a very thorough steam cleaning and then get an undercarriage anti-rust treatment. If you're in a road-salt-free area, that should sort of compensate for the frame E-coat that has already been corroded away.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In the world of rust, this is pretty minimal.

Where is the vehicle coming from? Regardless of where it's going to live, I'd do a very thorough steam cleaning and then get an undercarriage anti-rust treatment. If you're in a road-salt-free area, that should sort of compensate for the frame E-coat that has already been corroded away.
It's coming from around Portland, Oregon. I am, however, in an area that gets a lot of salt on the roads (Salt Lake City).

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
It's coming from around Portland, Oregon. I am, however, in an area that gets a lot of salt on the roads (Salt Lake City).
That’s too bad ... you are absolutely committed to driving it during road-salt season?

If so, a very meticulous program of regular undercarriage rinsing + yearly premium rust-preventive treatments can help delay the cancer, but will never eliminate it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That’s too bad ... you are absolutely committed to driving it during road-salt season?

If so, a very meticulous program of regular undercarriage rinsing + yearly premium rust-preventive treatments can help delay the cancer, but will never eliminate it.
Well, I'm going between some options here.

If I get this 2013 (TT 6MT), I have to sell my current car to afford it (old Honda Fit with plenty of life left).

I'm also looking at a local unmodified 07 FJ (79k miles) that would allow me to keep my Fit as the runner in the winter when the snow isn't too bad. I might have to drive the FJ on particularly bad snow days though (4WD and all). This particular FJ happens to have a transferrable bumper to bumper warranty on it for the next 3 years/30k miles. Then after the warranty period I can get into some more... involved... modifications.

Otherwise there's a NSSE in Florida that I'm eyeballing which could fall somewherein the middle of these price ranges.

Either way, I will do whatever it takes to keep the vehicle as clean as possible underneath. I've seen some really interesting methods on here to handle some of the salt issues.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
Best way to combat the "R" is during winter - weekly undercarriage rinse.

and as others have mentioned some form of coating on the frame to be that protecting layer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys,

Passed on the other one since they wouldn't budge on price, but I think I've finally found the one. Negotiated a good price, awaiting a prepurchase inspection tomorrow.

Figured I'd ask your opinion one more time. Thanks for all your help already.

This is a 2010 with 84k miles on it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Banned
21 Posts
:flame: FJ Cruiser Rusted Frame Owners Unite
We all love our FJ Cruiser. Fun to drive, fun to mod. The purpose of FJ Cruiser Rusted Frame Owners Unite on Facebook is to connect those of us whose frames are rusting, some even to failure and to be able to tell your story of what Toyota is or is not doing to help. Safety is our priority and we want you to be aware of frame and fuel tank strap rust. Join us for the most up to date information and help preserve our iconic vehicles. Posts must include a picture of the rust but everyone is welcome to join the discussions.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/632711680558455/about/

Even if don't join us on Facebook you can still participate by following the the links below. US residence, if you haven't done so file a safety complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration for frame structural rust and or fuel tank strap rust. The NHTSA can force a Toyota recall with enough recorded problems.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...rUknwaBcoKfHqg

IMPORTANT: A link to a petition form below will provide information on your particular FJ to help with a resolution. All US, Canada, and other countries are all welcome to participate.

https://forms.gle/V4MUhMshgM5GgPqs9

·
Registered
5 Posts
Greg here in Woodstock, NY
Rust is my concern as well, my 2011 has 96k, looks brand new is in excellent condition and runs beautiful. But the undercarriage is a real concern because if the harsh winters we have here. I took some pics and would appreciate it any advice you can give a new owner.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Reef, that one looks about as rust free as any FJ you're ever likely to find, good luck with the purchase!

Greg, your rust looks about normal/light, and with treatment can be dealt with (wire brush, paint, then go over with Amsoil Metal Protectant wax, and then do annual Fluid Film each fall, to keep it coated. The initial work takes a full weekend, but after that, each fall, takes only about an hour or so. Easy to do during oil change time.

Norm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts