Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. New to the forum and FJs. I'm looking at possibly purchasing one near me but wondering what's an acceptable level of rust for the undercarriage (see pics). Love to get the opinion of the community. Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,414 Posts
Depends on year and mileage.

Overall not the worst and not the best.

Bigger issue will come with fasteners that need to removed from time to time (brakes, wheel alignment, suspension components etc)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not terrible but needs oil spray now and again in 6m and again in 6 m then
annually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Thats an awful lot of rust for only 50k miles. I agree, it looks like it was left sitting in a wet area a lot, like grass.
I bought my '08 with 80+k miles, from Long Island (pretty rusty region), and its the front skid plate wasn't rusted away like that one is.

Also, there is evidence of bubbling rust on the body shell too, which is rare on FJs (their frames and suspension shows surface rust quickly, but the body tends to go 10+ years rust free).

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Hi all. New to the forum and FJs. I'm looking at possibly purchasing one near me but wondering what's an acceptable level of rust for the undercarriage (see pics). Love to get the opinion of the community. Thanks

View attachment 1127387
View attachment 1127388 View attachment 1127389
View attachment 1127390
That is some pretty heavy rust IMO, I’d keep looking preferably in a non rust belt state.

Below is a pic of my 07 with 150k on it. I’ve had since new and it has never been repainted or sprayed with fluid flilm or similar product.

·
Registered
859 Posts
If you are in a rust belt state and the vehicle is a bargain, then maybe.
I second Mikey's post.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If your willing to put in the work to remove the rust then go for it. I would point out that rust to them as a bargaining chip. I would not just put oil on it.That rusty frame needs to be descaled, neutralize , primed, painted and a cosomoline wax applied. There are plenty of threads on this. Rust never sleeps

·
Registered
108 Posts
You can listen to those in the rust belt that successfully deal with salt and liquid calcium every winter for many years OR you can listen to those that freak out over the amount of rust a one year old northern vehicle can show.

I have experience with multiple vehicles that have gone 20+ years driven every winter, and their use was not discontinued because of rust.

Yes you can just Krown or Fluid film spring and fall, and yes it will last indefinitely if this is kept up . It may not look pretty as a Arizona frame, but will last as long as the drivetrain will.

Must not have enough to do today. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 12 of 12 Posts