Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an FJ and I love it. I take it wheeling here in FL. and mostly in sand and mild offroad condition. But, soon I will be venturing into more rugged terain. Most likely Tellico. I need pics and Ideas of support brackets, skid plates, shock mount protectors, frame reinforcements, etc. I love welding and fabricating my own products. So if anyone has any pics or advice on what I need, please let me know. What are the weak points of the FJ suspension and undercarriage? I could come up with several things on my own, But if you all have proven methods, and knowledge of weakness than it would help me a lot. thanks.​

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
First and foremost - sliders. Go to the slider comparison thread (stickied in 4x4/offroad forum).

Protection for the rear control arm brackets (on frame rails) is a key area. See All-Pro's stuff.

Stronger rear control arms, if you do any rock crawling is necessary. See All-Pro again.

Front engine skid and tranny/t-case skids. See Bud Built Skids.

·
Banned
2,051 Posts
First and foremost - sliders. Go to the slider comparison thread (stickied in 4x4/offroad forum).

Protection for the rear control arm brackets (on frame rails) is a key area. See All-Pro's stuff.

Stronger rear control arms, if you do any rock crawling is necessary. See All-Pro again.

Front engine skid and tranny/t-case skids. See Bud Built Skids.

I agree. Though I wish I had known.. my rear control arm bracket passenger side has seen better days.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I don't what you guys are talking about - my rear control arm brackets are in great shape... neatly folded in and wrapped around the control arm. ;)

Yeah... what BMThiker said

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I don't what you guys are talking about - my rear control arm brackets are in great shape... neatly folded in and wrapped around the control arm. ;)

Yeah... what BMThiker said
Hey wait now!!! Did you steal my Control Arm Brackets? :lol: That is what mine looks like.

BTW be sure to check out the Florida Section for upcoming rides!

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
You can essentially BulletProof the bottom of your FJ with all the following :

- Heavy Duty Sliders
- Full skid plates front-to-rear (including the fuel tank)
- Rear diff skid
- Rear e-locker skid
- Rear Shock Mount skids
- Heavy Duty Rear Control Arms
- Rear Front Control Arm mount skids
- Front Lower Control Arm Skids

That will also add several hundred pounds of metal to the underside of your FJ, lower your center of gravity and take a serious bite out of your fuel economy but it should be able to withstand a hit from a small IED.

DEWFPO

·
Banned
2,051 Posts
almost on topic

of course I ~should~ have had armor.. but I didn't.

This happened back in January.

Yeah armor could have been my friend.
(IH8mud.com readers will recognize those pictures)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts