Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving in a downpour last Sunday, my wife pointed out that there was a lot of "sound" coming from the rear of the FJ and suggested the door was ajar. I checked the door and it was closed properly, but after paying a little more attention the sound was obviously just the water splashing/spraying on the underside of the cargo area (i.e. the big open spot between the axle and bumper). I hadn't noticed it before as when driving alone I'm usually listening to the radio of something.

Has anyone used spray undercoating to tame the road noise from that area? I'm familiar with auto undercoating and know that it's not a good thing in the northern areas (salt+water+confined spaces=rust), but they've always used it in the south. How have others addressed this? Ron

·
Registered
594 Posts
I was thinking of doing the whole bottom of the truck with roll on bed liner. Is that a bad idea?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everyone that I've known from the rust belt says that such things actually promote rust in a big way, but personally I don't know. It's always been used in the south, so I don't believe it's a problem here.

Some of the photos of rusted northern vehicles posted are shocking to a southerner. I saw posts of a two year old NY Jeep that had more rust than a 20 year old Jeep from the south. Ron

I was thinking of doing the whole bottom of the truck with roll on bed liner. Is that a bad idea?

·
Registered
499 Posts
i think it would only promote rust if the water and salt was there before you put on the bedliner, or if it some how could get underneath the liner. my brother has built jeeps up from the ground and he always used liner so i'm in favor of them

1 - 4 of 4 Posts