Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, bought my fj 3 months ago and so far installed exhaust, intake, and unichip...feel a major difference but dying to know how many horses the chip added, any idea guys? and also whether i should custom tune the chip?

·
Premium Member
6,515 Posts
Run a search on UNICHIP, ToledoFJ custom tuned his and said it added another 15 HP on top of the 25 HP from the base chip. I think those numbers are correct, but I may be wrong.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
377 Posts
hello everyone, bought my fj 3 months ago and so far installed exhaust, intake, and unichip...feel a major difference but dying to know how many horses the chip added, any idea guys? and also whether i should custom tune the chip?

When did you felt the major difference? It was after the Unichip?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When didyou felt the major difference? It was after the Unichip?
yeah definitely after unichip! well worth the 600 dollars, and read the custom tuning thread by toledo...will tune when i get the cash...u mostly feel the difference around 4000 rpm

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Glad you are enjoying the unichip. Dep is correct about the extra 15hp from the custom tuning, but I don't know for sure what the stock unichip produces, so I don't know the total. I do know that more HP is possible from the tuning. We did a "safe" tune on 93 octane. He said if I wanted he could do a very aggressive map on higher octane, but he said you run the risk of problems if you get super aggressive. I am more than pleased with how everything turned out. If you can find out what the stock chip produces, let us know!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad you are enjoying the unichip. Dep is correct about the extra 15hp from the custom tuning, but I don't know for sure what the stock unichip produces, so I don't know the total. I do know that more HP is possible from the tuning. We did a "safe" tune on 93 octane. He said if I wanted he could do a very aggressive map on higher octane, but he said you run the risk of problems if you get super aggressive. I am more than pleased with how everything turned out. If you can find out what the stock chip produces, let us know!
Next step is URD Y-Pipe and Doug Thorley long tube headers, when i get the cash to buy them both will definitely dyno before installing and let you guys know :)

·
Registered
734 Posts
Run a search on UNICHIP, ToledoFJ custom tuned his and said it added another 15 HP on top of the 25 HP from the base chip. I think those numbers are correct, but I may be wrong.

DEWFPO
those are incredibly optimistic numbers.
can't really guess without dyno numbers, but I'd say around 15whp total, with custom tuning, with heavy exhaust mods.

custom tuning isn't solely for hp gains but also to achieve a safe a/f ratio.
it should only be done after all your other mods are in, or it'll be wast of money.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
those are incredibly optimistic numbers.
can't really guess without dyno numbers, but I'd say around 15whp total, with custom tuning, with heavy exhaust mods.

custom tuning isn't solely for hp gains but also to achieve a safe a/f ratio.
it should only be done after all your other mods are in, or it'll be wast of money.
true true...not tuning it till get my headers and Y-pipe in

·
Registered
70 Posts
Re: Unichip

about to make the plunge, but am curious about problems? has anyone that has this chip, had problems
Well, I have one. It is tuned for Airaid Cold Air Intake and, a TRD Cat-Back exhaust system. I definately noticed the power increase(put a smile on my face). It works well on both the A and B map settings(NO Check Engine Light). I pump 92 Octane, premium fuel. I must admit, sometimes, not always, I can detect slight slight power "spikes" if I gradually increase throttle from a "dead stop" and then "nail" the accellerator. But after that small spike in throttle response, it pulls HARD and Healthy, up to redline(rev limiter kicks in), every gear! I hope this explaination makes sense to you. But to tell you the truth, to me, its not an issue I'm worried about or, MUST get fixed, asap. I can live with it because it is very subtle and occasional. I figure, maybe a "custon" Dyno Tune on the Unichip, would work that out, to a smooth linear response. Or, I might try some 102 Octane next week, and see if it still "pops up". But the 102 octane fuel is far from my house(approx. 45 miles) and I don't know the price of it right now. In a sentence: I would buy a Unichip for my FJ, AGAIN !! I HAVE 5674 MILES ON MY FJ. I INSTALLED THE CHIP @ 5284 MILES. MY FJ IS A 2007 with Manual Trans. Hope I was of some help. Take care. :wave:

·
Registered
338 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts

Does anybody know if the 4.0L Tacoma unichip would just be the same as the FJ unichip? Would is just need a reflash? Also anybody know the difference between the unichip and the unichip q that they are selling now? Is the q version just a newer version?

·
Registered
3,712 Posts

No problems here. I've had mine for a while now and had it custom tuned. Very happy with the product. I don't know about the tacoma chip or the q version. Give them a call and they will tell you whats up.

·
Banned
2,640 Posts

thanks agian for all the input..im going to locate a dealer in the dallas/ft worth texas area.ill look foreward to letting ya'll know how it turns out

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I don't think the numbers are incredibly optimistic. Stock gas vehicles will gain between %5 to %10 percent power gain from the correct map. Supercharged vehicles can expect %20 or greater. The custom tuning bumps those numbers up a bit. So on a stock FJ expect 12-24 horse from the stock chip. My tuning produced 15hp over the stock unichip so that is where I'm getting my numbers.

·
Registered
165 Posts
According to Unichip, the 4.0L Tacoma chip is exactly the same as the FJ, which makes sense. All you need to do is a reflash if it has different mods. If the mods are the same just plug it in and go.

I just picked up a used one off a Tacoma for $400. I didnt really want to spend that much right now, but I couldnt pass that deal up.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
The unichip makes a specific FJ chip and has map options for CAI and catback exhaust. Also, it is infinately tunable to accomidate any mods you add, or to run specific octane, or to just get better performance than the stock chip.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts