Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

2821 - 2840 of 2858 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Thought I'd bring this back into circulation. Such a cool thread!
I would post some of my recent mods but haven't figured out how to post pix off my droid phone :-(

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Upload them to Photobucket, and then you can post them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah.. too much work! They need to upgrade so we can just upload like FB.
It's the primary reason I rarely post here anymore. I've done a lot of DIY mods, and mods to my mods that I've posted on our Ohio FJ Owners FB page because it's easy and takes less time.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
Custom Rotopax mount by Trailworx Fabrication.
Solid on the trails!
I've heard of some peoples doors and hinges having issues with just the weight of a larger spare tire, do you think a Rotopax mount like this would be an issue? Looks like a cheaper alternative to a rear bumper, I like (if it's not going to damage my door).

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I've heard of some peoples doors and hinges having issues with just the weight of a larger spare tire, do you think a Rotopax mount like this would be an issue? Looks like a cheaper alternative to a rear bumper, I like (if it's not going to damage my door).
So far it hasn't been an issue. It was designed to be as light as possible, yet solid with 8 gallons of fuel in them.
I can tell there is more weight in the back, but it's not terrible. I also don't leave my back door open for any length of time if I have full canisters on the back, just in case.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
I've moved my spare off the door onto a swingout, so just have my ladder and 2- 5 gal jerrycans mounted close to the hinge - less weight than the spare 35.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
I've moved my spare off the door onto a swingout, so just have my ladder and 2- 5 gal jerrycans mounted close to the hinge - less weight than the spare 35.
That sounds reasonable to me. The rotopax probably put less stress on the door than even the stock tire did, since you moved the tire off. But that's completely different than the concern of my original quote, Rotopax AND a (larger) tire would concern me.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I don't know if I have posted here that I finished my own rear bumper since it in itself isn't that unique. But since then though I have added a swing out that takes the tire and holds 3 jerry cans or a cooler. The swing out is tied into the door so they both move together and I relocated my back up camera.

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
Yeah.. too much work! They need to upgrade so we can just upload like FB.
It's the primary reason I rarely post here anymore. I've done a lot of DIY mods, and mods to my mods that I've posted on our Ohio FJ Owners FB page because it's easy and takes less time.
We need a thread like Tacomaworld has. You can literally text the pic to the forum and it posts it in a thread...then you can just link to it from within the forum itseld. :surprise

·
Registered
97 Posts
Roof Cargo Rack I built, still some left to do.
DAMN THAT'S NICE. Was looking to do something very similar this spring myself. I'd like to make the center section of mine so that I can strap in 8' lumber / snowboards / skis... How is it with wind noise?

Got any more pic's? How much do you have into it so far? Materials? DETAILS MAN!!!! lol.

2821 - 2840 of 2858 Posts