Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 2890 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Re: unique Mods.. Post your pix here

Looks great already even if it's not done. keep us posted if you finished it. regarding the bike rack that was a clever idea. i wonder if you could also put an extra gas tank carrier on those stock spare tire rack. hmmm????:wave: custom made bumpers.. i gotta see that.....
thats how i mounted my can, Bike rack bracket, custom made attachment for the can. bike rack most days, can mount when i need it.

here's a few pictures, no close ups, but i will get some and put them here later. I am building a custom interior winch control panel. so when I am done I will add pictures of both.

Picasa Web Albums - Frank - 2009-03-23

·
Registered
10 Posts

thats how i mounted my can, Bike rack bracket, custom made attachment for the can. bike rack most days, can mount when i need it.

here's a few pictures, no close ups, but i will get some and put them here later. I am building a custom interior winch control panel. so when I am done I will add pictures of both.

did you make it yourself? thats the way to do it, screw paying rates like $90 and hour for labor plus material for work to be done at a fab shop, thats what my boss charges for me to work for others, hehe

·
Registered
215 Posts

Very nice work What shroud did you use?
Thank you... Not a lot of people on this forum appreciate good ON-road lighting.

I actually jerry-rigged a piece of plywood on my power drill and sanded it down to a circle, then just waxed it up and laid some fiberglass over it. A 2.5" hole with a coat of paint and you have yourself a decent shroud.

I am actually starting work on my TL/ZKW-R retro for the FJ soon... even though I have had a great experience with the FX projectors.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts

did you make it yourself? thats the way to do it, screw paying rates like $90 and hour for labor plus material for work to be done at a fab shop, thats what my boss charges for me to work for others, hehe
Of course I made it!!

More home made stuff on the way.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

Heres mine :)

i gotta get me one of this!!!:clap: can you make me one? is this water tight? this is a good way to see trough the cover. so you will know if your filter needs some cleaning.. i like this.. share it please I'LL BUY IT!!!!:cheers::wave:

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

holly crap!!! i saw it and loved what you did on it. i alway wanted to carry extra gas can on that space... wait up!!! I noticed a different rear bumper armor there.... Share it please :clap::wave:

·
Registered
594 Posts

Joeisip811, your truck looks great. It looks even more bad a$$ without the rack. :rocker:

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts

I will be posting a few mods in this thread.
Here is the first one I did when I first got my truck
Color matched door handles and mirror bases. Mirrors and bumpers black, bezel color matched white with yellow letters

Fresh air
Hood scoop Mod. Expanded metal, drilled opening for air flow

I decided to remove the control box on WIKID'S bumper and send it to the engine compartment. Longer cables made it possible to mount in under the XD-I intake with easy access to the plug in for the wired remote. Hopefully I won't need that since I installed the wireless controller inside the control box. Everything should stay more dry now.

I like the cleaner look under the bull bar now. I didn't like the large gap inside the bumper. It looked unfinished

I decided to go get some steel and fab something up to fill the hole. I went to the steel place and looks through the scraps. I found some 3/4" angle and some plate steel with holes in it, brought it home. 9 bucks is what it cost. I used the dimensions from the cut out and started fabbing,
This is what I ended up with

Here it is fit in place . I used Magnetic strips along the front to keep it in place so I still have access to the winch control bar. I almost didnt need anything since the angle fit it nicely, but I decided to use the magnets for a clean appearance

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #52

Joeisip811, your truck looks great. It looks even more bad a$$ without the rack. :rocker:
I know it's Bad A$$ but, i need my rack for my roof lights with air dam, hi-lift jack, axe & shovel, snowboard, 2nd spare tire, 2 folding chairs an a dancing monkey:alfdance:.:rofl::wave:

·
Registered
521 Posts

One night I was driving around and asked my wife can you get me something out of the glove box. She looked for 10 minutes trying to find it. She said "I can't see anything, it's too damn dark." So I installed LED lights in the glove box and hooked them up to a normally on momentary switch. The lights only turn on when the glove box is opened.

I wanted to burn out, but the FJ won't let me so I added a VSC cancel switch. Now I can burn rubber all day long. I wanted it hidden so the pesky guys at the Toyota dealership won't give me any flack.

I hated the fact I could not turn my Day Time Running lights on or off so I installed a switch on the relay for the DRL's

·
Registered
521 Posts

I installed a homelink in the headliner. It also has a voice memo feature. I wired it so it is always on and can be used anytime. I also put an external speaker for my CB and the Hella TPMS display by the rear view mirror. My Radar detector is up there along with the mic for my Pioneer AVIC-Z1. They are all wired to the fuse box.

·
Registered
521 Posts

I added some screen between the snorkel head and tube to keep out the bugs. I checked it after one day and there was a huge dragon fly in it. I tried to remove it and it fell down the tube. I have to get the vacuum to suck it out. I came up with a better solution. I took the grill off and cut some door screen to fit the grill and used pop rivets to secure to to the grill. It works like a charm.

Screen Material Used

Front of snorkel grill

Back of snorkel grill...notice the pop rivets (I painted them black)

Grill re-installed

·
Registered
521 Posts

I replaced my Toyota emblem with an FJ-40 4 wheel drive emblem and didn't know what to do with the left over emblem. So I stuck it on the fuel door. I had to replace the double sided 3M tape.

On back of my FJ

New location of the Toyota emblem

·
Registered
2,823 Posts

NIce headliner radar mod! Very cool everyone love to see what regular people come up with!

This has to be the best and most useful mod eeeeevvvvveeeerrrrr :rofl:
Jake those are awesome, mass market them bro :lol:
SO tibaal broke my horns when I was stuck in 3' of snow in Flagstaff Az:fight: he hit it with a shovel:lol: but they got me out so ohh well. THe one held up until I hit 70mph then it suddenly raised up and flew over my truck luckily it didn't hit anyone. SO I have one horn one bone left....the place I got this was next to my sisters house..the people left and we found them on their porch while looking at the house. SO I went back there since its still up on the market and there was one left...not the same though no skull attached:rofl: just horns attached to wood with rabbit fur wrapped around the middle arggg! Perdy damn nice horns though. They will be on for the summit. I looked online there is nothing like the original skull with horns argg! You wanna wheel like Jeebus get yourself some horns:D

·
Registered
2,815 Posts

I might get me some horns:cowsmile: Cheers.. Ron

NIce headliner radar mod! Very cool everyone love to see what regular people come up with!

SO tibaal broke my horns when I was stuck in 3' of snow in Flagstaff Az:fight: he hit it with a shovel:lol: but they got me out so ohh well. THe one held up until I hit 70mph then it suddenly raised up and flew over my truck luckily it didn't hit anyone. SO I have one horn one bone left....the place I got this was next to my sisters house..the people left and we found them on their porch while looking at the house. SO I went back there since its still up on the market and there was one left...not the same though no skull attached:rofl: just horns attached to wood with rabbit fur wrapped around the middle arggg! Perdy damn nice horns though. They will be on for the summit. I looked online there is nothing like the original skull with horns argg! You wanna wheel like Jeebus get yourself some horns:D

·
Registered
662 Posts

Heres my custom short shifter, I cut the bottom off of the shifter and then took off the plastic dome on top, cut a piece of Aluminium and drilled 6 holes and put .357 Glasers in it (fired) I then cut a few inches off the shaft, and re-threaded it.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #60

Heres my custom short shifter, I cut the bottom off of the shifter and then took off the plastic dome on top, cut a piece of Aluminium and drilled 6 holes and put .357 Glasers in it (fired) I then cut a few inches off the shaft, and re-threaded it.

i wanna see your line-x mod please :mecry::lol::wave::cheers:

41 - 60 of 2890 Posts