Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Unique Mods.. Post your pix here

2M views 3K replies 718 participants last post by  pyrofreek 
#1 · (Edited)
Are there anybody in this forum have done a unique mods? we would like to see it!!! So we can get some ideas for our own :rocker: I'll start. I did my snorkel and bushwacker pocket style fender flares and i think im the first Black FJ with Truck bedliners roof. Line-x roof and more. here are some photos.. enjoy..

:cheers::wave:

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: unique Mods.. Post your pix here

Does it have to be like custom DIY mods, or also aftermarket parts that one or few are using?
yeah custom DIY or any after market parts that you had to customize to make it look bad a$$ or better. If you cut it, trim it painted it custom made one of a kind post it. something like that:rocker: I've seen alot of scattered unique mods in this forum why not bring it in one place :bigthumb: :wave:

#6 ·

this is what im talking about :clap: Thanks Mark. now i have an idea of what to do on that extra space on my upper rear door panel.. Great Mods!!!

i saw a PVC pipe snorkel mods here, also custom roof rack by jerseymike. Air intake coming from inside of the FJ. guy used a Cambell can i think FJFRed did that mod..

But, Hey Keep it coming it doesn't matter how they look or how much they cost if you build it for a reason I'd like to see it:wave::cheers:

#12 ·

Flush mounted my 7 pin trailer plug to my rear bumper. Not a big deal, but i've only seen one other person doit. And that was after he used my install as referance!

that is something you don't see everyday. very nice mod. you don't have to kneel down under your rig and plug your trailer wires. very cool. i have a stock on mine but, i don't think i will be using that anytime soon. i have no trailer, i have no boat. i have nothing to pull :bigthumb: the only purpose of my tow hitch is to pull a stuck rig in the mud:lol: :cheers:

Reactions: Tamai
#9 ·

Here is a custom bike carrier for my down hill. It attaches to the spare tire mount. I was worried about the extra weight being on the door but so far no problems. I have taken some pretty good off road "bumps" with the bike on and no bends or anything of that sort. Note: I normally take off the front tire for clearance.

#140 ·

Here is a custom bike carrier for my down hill. It attaches to the spare tire mount. I was worried about the extra weight being on the door but so far no problems. I have taken some pretty good off road "bumps" with the bike on and no bends or anything of that sort. Note: I normally take off the front tire for clearance.

sick 6 banger ... 2002 maybe ? boxxer ride with 5-7 inch travel adjust
for a sick bike rack check out Northshore bike racks 2,4 and 6 bike rack

#10 ·

Wasn't going to post these pics yet till I was done but what the hay. Here is a aluminum roof rack I'm making. Haven't put in the middle bars yet, this will eventually be powder coated. The whole thing is 1/8" aluminum.

Up next will be front and rear bumpers!

#11 · (Edited)

Wasn't going to post these pics yet till I was done but what the hay. Here is a aluminum roof rack I'm making. Haven't put in the middle bars yet, this will eventually be powder coated. The whole thing is 1/8" aluminum.

Up next will be front and rear bumpers!
Looks great already even if it's not done. keep us posted if you finished it. regarding the bike rack that was a clever idea. i wonder if you could also put an extra gas tank carrier on those stock spare tire rack. hmmm????:wave: custom made bumpers.. i gotta see that.....

#13 ·

DIY roof rack and light bar cage.

#15 ·

Thanks for the nice compliment. I just can't seem to stop fussing with my FJ.

I tinkered around with cars as a younger man but it is nice to be a little more settled and be able to be creative.

I am already designing the next rack for the FJ. It will have a smaller side profile that flows better into the baja light rack.

BTW it still fits in a standard 7' garage door opening.

#17 ·

Thanks for the nice compliment. I just can't seem to stop fussing with my FJ.

I tinkered around with cars as a younger man but it is nice to be a little more settled and be able to be creative.

I am already designing the next rack for the FJ. It will have a smaller side profile that flows better into the baja light rack.

BTW it still fits in a standard 7' garage door opening.
i can't wait to see the photos of your next mods.. I myself also likes to work on my cars. i have a 2005 scion tc, 98 camry and the Big Bad Black FJ all of my cars are loaded with TRD.. I wanna build a house around my FJ hahaha. the first thing would be the garage. I'd like to make my garage bigger so i can fit the FJ in it :clap::wave:

#18 ·
#20 · (Edited)

From this .. Bone Stock Man Purple FJ

To this .. Linex XTRA Olive Drab (entire Rig)

In action .. Last weekend at Hannable MO
you are them Man!!! I should thank you for your build up!. i got the line-x idea from you.. hahaha.. I though i was the first to line-x my door handle. side mirrors and snorkel. :lol: you line-x your entire rig. check out my mod regarding line-x roof
Before:
[/IMG]

During:
[/IMG]

After:
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Thanks Again SwiCago!!!! Rock On:rocker::cheers::wave:

#26 ·

SWISSARMYSUV front bumper fog light kit adapted for the rear bumper wings.

Originally as brush guard, now it function as a push guard that is solidly attached to the Lucrum winch mount. Firestik antennas as side markers.

#30 ·

When it comes to functionality, my FJ falls behind many on the forum. On the other hand... when it comes to unique I think I have you covered.

Most recently I made my own rackless light bar and mounted 4 hella 500's on it to keep cost down.

Made modular with a single weatherproof plug and 4 bolts

All finished up

Switches for my lights

One of my favorite and simplest mods to date are the 1W amber LED's in the mirrors.

I also added some 5mm amber LED's in the hella 500's

Everything lit up

On the lighting note I also modded the OEM headlight housings to accept an Infinity FX-35 hid projector.

Finally... the last super cool mod to the FJ is the on board air system (mounted under the rear of the FJ) with "train horn"

A work in progress...

#32 ·

ARB ON BOARD Air Compressor...

here's some install pics of the ARB Compressor:

I installed the actual compressor at the tech meet...
that was prolly the easiest piece of the whole project...basically just had to figure out where i was gonna place it...the compressor is a really nice piece of machinery and can be adjusted in several places which is great if you have to mount it in a tight spot..fortunately for the FJ...on the passenger side above the fender well, there's plenty of room...

prior to the tech meet, i did the wiring inside the cabin...i spent some time with the 'provided harness' cleaning it up a bit as it came with switches, etc for a front and rear air locker...i removed the wiring for the front and rear locker switches...that made it easy to fit the rest thru the fire wall..

i ran the harness behind the glove box to the series of switches below the HU...
had to use a dremel to make the switch fit...

then to the fuse box using an add-a-circuit...still need to tie in the illumination wire...
this pic was before i put the 2 fuses in the add-a-circuit

to mount the relay, i found a nice threaded hole near the hood damper on the pass side..

here's a pic of the comp with the pressure switch and coupler for the airhose..

used some 1/4 wire loom for the hot and ground wires running them to the battery in the front of the engine bay...removing the plastic cover on top of the radiator..i ran the loom along side of the loom that was already there (between the two coolers), using zip ties along the way..

here's a pic of the finished install

[/QUOTE]

#34 · (Edited)

ARB ON BOARD Air Compressor...

here's some install pics of the ARB Compressor:

I installed the actual compressor at the tech meet...
that was prolly the easiest piece of the whole project...basically just had to figure out where i was gonna place it...the compressor is a really nice piece of machinery and can be adjusted in several places which is great if you have to mount it in a tight spot..fortunately for the FJ...on the passenger side above the fender well, there's plenty of room...

:wave: Hi Pat!!! I've seen that mod in the flesh. very nice mod, thanks for sharing:rocker: I will be needing those info to install my air compressor in the near future.:wave:

#47 ·

Heres mine :)

i gotta get me one of this!!!:clap: can you make me one? is this water tight? this is a good way to see trough the cover. so you will know if your filter needs some cleaning.. i like this.. share it please I'LL BUY IT!!!!:cheers::wave:

#44 ·

Very nice work What shroud did you use?
Thank you... Not a lot of people on this forum appreciate good ON-road lighting.

I actually jerry-rigged a piece of plywood on my power drill and sanded it down to a circle, then just waxed it up and laid some fiberglass over it. A 2.5" hole with a coat of paint and you have yourself a decent shroud.

I am actually starting work on my TL/ZKW-R retro for the FJ soon... even though I have had a great experience with the FX projectors.

#49 ·

Joeisip811, your truck looks great. It looks even more bad a$$ without the rack. :rocker:

#52 ·

Joeisip811, your truck looks great. It looks even more bad a$$ without the rack. :rocker:
I know it's Bad A$$ but, i need my rack for my roof lights with air dam, hi-lift jack, axe & shovel, snowboard, 2nd spare tire, 2 folding chairs an a dancing monkey:alfdance:.:rofl::wave:

#50 · (Edited)

I will be posting a few mods in this thread.
Here is the first one I did when I first got my truck
Color matched door handles and mirror bases. Mirrors and bumpers black, bezel color matched white with yellow letters

Fresh air
Hood scoop Mod. Expanded metal, drilled opening for air flow

I decided to remove the control box on WIKID'S bumper and send it to the engine compartment. Longer cables made it possible to mount in under the XD-I intake with easy access to the plug in for the wired remote. Hopefully I won't need that since I installed the wireless controller inside the control box. Everything should stay more dry now.

I like the cleaner look under the bull bar now. I didn't like the large gap inside the bumper. It looked unfinished

I decided to go get some steel and fab something up to fill the hole. I went to the steel place and looks through the scraps. I found some 3/4" angle and some plate steel with holes in it, brought it home. 9 bucks is what it cost. I used the dimensions from the cut out and started fabbing,
This is what I ended up with

Here it is fit in place . I used Magnetic strips along the front to keep it in place so I still have access to the winch control bar. I almost didnt need anything since the angle fit it nicely, but I decided to use the magnets for a clean appearance

#160 ·

I will be posting a few mods in this thread.
Here is the first one I did when I first got my truck
Color matched door handles and mirror bases. Mirrors and bumpers black, bezel color matched white with yellow letters

Fresh air
Hood scoop Mod. Expanded metal, drilled opening for air flow

I decided to remove the control box on WIKID'S bumper and send it to the engine compartment. Longer cables made it possible to mount in under the XD-I intake with easy access to the plug in for the wired remote. Hopefully I won't need that since I installed the wireless controller inside the control box. Everything should stay more dry now.

I like the cleaner look under the bull bar now. I didn't like the large gap inside the bumper. It looked unfinished

I decided to go get some steel and fab something up to fill the hole. I went to the steel place and looks through the scraps. I found some 3/4" angle and some plate steel with holes in it, brought it home. 9 bucks is what it cost. I used the dimensions from the cut out and started fabbing,
This is what I ended up with

Here it is fit in place . I used Magnetic strips along the front to keep it in place so I still have access to the winch control bar. I almost didnt need anything since the angle fit it nicely, but I decided to use the magnets for a clean appearance
I love the PIAA light up front, and the painted door handle and mirror are a nice touch.

#53 ·

One night I was driving around and asked my wife can you get me something out of the glove box. She looked for 10 minutes trying to find it. She said "I can't see anything, it's too damn dark." So I installed LED lights in the glove box and hooked them up to a normally on momentary switch. The lights only turn on when the glove box is opened.

I wanted to burn out, but the FJ won't let me so I added a VSC cancel switch. Now I can burn rubber all day long. I wanted it hidden so the pesky guys at the Toyota dealership won't give me any flack.

I hated the fact I could not turn my Day Time Running lights on or off so I installed a switch on the relay for the DRL's

#54 · (Edited)

I installed a homelink in the headliner. It also has a voice memo feature. I wired it so it is always on and can be used anytime. I also put an external speaker for my CB and the Hella TPMS display by the rear view mirror. My Radar detector is up there along with the mic for my Pioneer AVIC-Z1. They are all wired to the fuse box.

#61 ·

I installed a homelink in the headliner. It also has a voice memo feature. I wired it so it is always on and can be used anytime. I also put an external speaker for my CB and the Hella TPMS display by the rear view mirror. My Radar detector is up there along with the mic for my Pioneer AVIC-Z1. They are all wired to the fuse box.

Ohhhh how i wish you live in jersey, so i can drive to your place and check out your "Unique" mods up close. also to ask you a favor to help me re-do it to my FJ :lol:. I liked all of em' i wish toyota came up with those already. no map lights, no glove compartment lights, head lights are on even if you don't need it... ohhh mannn what else im missing? your FJ :rocker: brother. Love the Color:wave::cheers:

#55 ·

I added some screen between the snorkel head and tube to keep out the bugs. I checked it after one day and there was a huge dragon fly in it. I tried to remove it and it fell down the tube. I have to get the vacuum to suck it out. I came up with a better solution. I took the grill off and cut some door screen to fit the grill and used pop rivets to secure to to the grill. It works like a charm.

Screen Material Used

Front of snorkel grill

Back of snorkel grill...notice the pop rivets (I painted them black)

Grill re-installed

#56 ·

I replaced my Toyota emblem with an FJ-40 4 wheel drive emblem and didn't know what to do with the left over emblem. So I stuck it on the fuel door. I had to replace the double sided 3M tape.

On back of my FJ

New location of the Toyota emblem

#59 ·

Heres my custom short shifter, I cut the bottom off of the shifter and then took off the plastic dome on top, cut a piece of Aluminium and drilled 6 holes and put .357 Glasers in it (fired) I then cut a few inches off the shaft, and re-threaded it.

#60 ·

Heres my custom short shifter, I cut the bottom off of the shifter and then took off the plastic dome on top, cut a piece of Aluminium and drilled 6 holes and put .357 Glasers in it (fired) I then cut a few inches off the shaft, and re-threaded it.

i wanna see your line-x mod please :mecry::lol::wave::cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.