Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few of us will be making our way to the Sedona area during the first and second week of May and then on to Utah. I am planning on leaving Houston around April 29 and making my way through New Mexico stopping at Carlsbad, White Sands, the VLA and Pie Town on my way to Sedona. I'll be in Sedona from May 2nd to at least the 7-8th, Shannon 67 and maybe one other member will be in the area around the same time frame. From there he is heading north to Utah for more stuff and I plan on tagging along for part of it.

Any advice on other things to see or do is welcome. I plan on doing the popular trails around Sedona and maybe some other lesser knowns like the road from Sedona to Williams.

Anyone want to meet up or tag along at any point is welcome. I may have 1 or 2 local jeepers tag along but they are tolerable ha.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
A few of us will be making our way to the Sedona area during the first and second week of May and then on to Utah. I am planning on leaving Houston around April 29 and making my way through New Mexico stopping at Carlsbad, White Sands, the VLA and Pie Town on my way to Sedona. I'll be in Sedona from May 2nd to at least the 7-8th, Shannon 67 and maybe one other member will be in the area around the same time frame. From there he is heading north to Utah for more stuff and I plan on tagging along for part of it.

Any advice on other things to see or do is welcome. I plan on doing the popular trails around Sedona and maybe some other lesser knowns like the road from Sedona to Williams.

Anyone want to meet up or tag along at any point is welcome. I may have 1 or 2 local jeepers tag along but they are tolerable ha.

I’ll see you there! I’m looking forward to the trip and making new friends!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Pie Town 👍. Read up on when the pie places are open so you won’t get there and no pie.

There are some good backroads from there to Moab that avoid state highways and the interstate.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Obviously visit the Caverns. We have some good trails around Carlsbad. If you plan on being here a day we could hit some.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Obviously visit the Caverns. We have some good trails around Carlsbad. If you plan on being here a day we could hit some.
For sure, I am giving my self about 4 days to get from Houston to Sedona. I can definitely do a day in Carlsbad.

And as for Pietown I have been. Really strange place ha but I love the country out there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nobody in Arizona going to be around? Figured for sure there were some guys that would want to catch up for a day or two in AZ.

Also, anyone recommend anything else to do in the Sedona area?

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
I've been through Pie Town then a dirt road to I-40 near Grants, then more dirt roads to Chaco Canyon. It was the dead of winter and the park ranger was surprised that anyone would make it via that road. He asked what I was driving and I told him. He just nodded.

I would like to see that VLA someday. Maybe the next time that Trinity Site is open to the public.

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,493 Posts
Man that’s a fun ride, I took 180 out of Demming all the way through Alpine and Show Low last year on my way to Williams. That’s some damn fine cruising in those mountains from Buckhorn through the Gila and Apache National forests.

Worked around White Sands years ago, such a unique place.

Jealous much brother, hope you guys have a great time!

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Sedona is one of my favorite places to wheel. Broken Arrow and Schnelby trails are must do's. Red Rock Canyon Park has some epic hiking. Oak Creek Brewery and Grill is a great place to eat.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Actually on the 30th I'm headed east with my teardrop trailer. Plan to visit Big Bend NP and then visit family up the eastern seaboard.

When in Arizona, heading to Utah, I highly recommend Monument Valley on the AZ/UT border. Lots of beautiful country in southern Utah around Bluff.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you go through Tucson, get a pizza at Rocco's. My daughter went to UofA on scholarship, and I'd make sure to stop at Rocco's on every visit.

We stopped in Sedona on one visit. My son and I rented a smallish dune buggy thing, which was legal to drive on the streets there, and blasted some trails with it. It was fun. Just don't forget to bring your crystals with you, so that you can recharge them at one of the vortexes found in Sedona.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
I've done it in a truck and a crotch rocket. Lot's of twisty's and stuff. Very popular with the sport touring bikes, mostly BMWs back then. Jerome is a must see also.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
So, is there no body wanting to join us in Arizona or Utah? We’re gonna be taking one of the forest service toads across the Grand Staircase in Utah, which should be pretty interesting. Will be stopping to explore some of the slot canyons and Narrows in the area. Will also be doing Hole in the Rock Road outside of Escalante, Utah and Hell’s Backbone Road. After that, will probably just wing it and see where we end up.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
I've done it in a truck and a crotch rocket. Lot's of twisty's and stuff. Very popular with the sport touring bikes, mostly BMWs back then. Jerome is a must see also.

Jerome is definitely a cool place! Especially right at sunset when looking down into the Verde Valley. The sun really lights up all the colors!
I’m definitely stopping by there this trip. We’re also planning on doing the back road up to Crown King as well. That’s another awesome little gem with quite the history.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
I agree, that is a beautiful place, many colors, ancient ruins, cliff dwellings. Maybe I'll add that to the short list of where to live next.

I've never driven to Crown King, but flew in at night once, that was interesting! No moon, pitch black. Keep higher than any terrain and then descend to the lights. It the lights go away that means there's a chunk of rock in the way. Did you see the story from 20-30 years ago when they took a Porsche 959(?) AWD up there?

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
I agree, that is a beautiful place, many colors, ancient ruins, cliff dwellings. Maybe I'll add that to the short list of where to live next.

I've never driven to Crown King, but flew in at night once, that was interesting! No moon, pitch black. Keep higher than any terrain and then descend to the lights. It the lights go away that means there's a chunk of rock in the way. Did you see the story from 20-30 years ago when they took a Porsche 959(?) AWD up there?

I actually have an old high school friend that lives there in Jerome. If it wasn’t for her, I probably wouldn’t know any of the surrounding areas.
Wow! That must’ve been one exciting ride in that plane! I probably would’ve chewed off all my fingernails on that! Lol! Nope, never saw the story about the Porsche. Did it come up the back way or the main road?

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,751 Posts
So, is there no body wanting to join us in Arizona or Utah? We’re gonna be taking one of the forest service toads across the Grand Staircase in Utah, which should be pretty interesting. Will be stopping to explore some of the slot canyons and Narrows in the area. Will also be doing Hole in the Rock Road outside of Escalante, Utah and Hell’s Backbone Road. After that, will probably just wing it and see where we end up.

I WANT to....really would if I lived closer! AZ and UT are two of my favorite places in the country and your trip sounds excellent :smile Hope you have an excellent time, and post pics :blueblob:

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
The Porsche took the back road, lots of body damage. We were in a BK117 helicopter that night, medical flight.

That whole area is so nice. It's high enough to not be 118 degrees in the summer, only 110 ;-) Well worth spending some time in. Jerome has a couple of nice bars too. A couple of switchbacks on the way up that kinda remind me of the south side of Ouray.

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,493 Posts
I WANT to....really would if I lived closer! AZ and UT are two of my favorite places in the country and your trip sounds excellent :smile Hope you have an excellent time, and post pics :blueblob:
This thread and others I’ve been researching since last night :wink have caused me to alter my trip itinerary slightly. I think I’ll head back to Arizona this year and check out a few more locations, DAMN YOU DEB!!!!!! :rocker:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts