Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install a $upercharger in my 2008 FJ, which they claim will boost it from 240HP to 305HP-ish.

My question is, to maintain streetability, what replacement clutch should I consider to do this? I was looking at the Clutchmasters FX100 but they say it isn't appropriate for anything that will boost power by more than 50HP. If you have replaced the clutch in your FJ and are running a $upercharger then what clutch are you finding works well on the street? I do occasional offroad but not a lot.

Thanks, CJ

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I did and even placed an order, but they are out of stock on it. I was hoping for someone that had replaced their clutch to tell me what was working good with their supercharger. I don't want the FJ out of service for weeks (like it has been waiting on URD).

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
I have an '08 MT FJ with TRD S/C and the stock clutch is more than capable, no need to install a different one.

Frankly, you shouldn't be that much into boost when changing gears, so even though the power gains are pretty significant, it doesn't seem to add any remarkable load/wear on the clutch.

Just a heads up about the benefit: Note the original hp /torque numbers are per SAE method, that is, without the driveline friction losses. But the aftermarket S/C numbers are all measured at the rear wheels (including about 30% driveline losses). So, the gain from a S/C is much, much more than the published numbers imply. If you subtract 30% from the stock numbers, that will give you a pretty good starting point to compare with.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Check out these folks :

They have some options.
Well damn, that just put me back into the supercharger game for my 08. I didn’t think the available kits made that much power, the TRD certainly doesn’t.

Btw, I have a Rotrex on my E36 M3 that sees lots of time at redline and it’s a fantastic centrifugal setup, though not easy to rebuild like the Vortech units are.

325WHP STG1 and 370WHP at ALL wheels, not RWD. That is a huge difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
with more power comes less longevity, that was TRD's decision point for how much (where the durability started to drop off)

Someone recently did some rear wheel power dyno measurements of a non-modified FJ and posted them here, they got 196.8hp stock. Compare that to the TRD S/C 290hp (also measured at the rear wheels).

The appeal of the TRD/Magnussen Rootes type blower is that power comes right at the throttle tip in, compared with centrifugal blowers which need to be spooled up to some degree before they start to really show. Fine for a road/track car running all of the time at high RPMs, but not as good for a crawler/truck as the Rootes delivery.

·
Registered
254 Posts
with more power comes less longevity, that was TRD's decision point for how much (where the durability started to drop off)

Someone recently did some rear wheel power dyno measurements of a non-modified FJ and posted them here, they got 196.8hp stock. Compare that to the TRD S/C 290hp (also measured at the rear wheels).

The appeal of the TRD/Magnussen Rootes type blower is that power comes right at the throttle tip in, compared with centrifugal blowers which need to be spooled up to some degree before they start to really show. Fine for a road/track car running all of the time at high RPMs, but not as good for a crawler/truck as the Rootes delivery.
I was misinformed on the TRD power figures, though I suppose it doesn’t matter lest I stumbled over a used complete kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
The Magnussen supercharcher kit they sell today is the same as the TRD one (they had been TRD's supplier for the parts). :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts