Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the inverter, but find it a little on the small side.
A 1000W inverter is not that much more expensive and/or larger, but affords you way more options. Right now I have nowhere to plug in my waffle iron :^ (

Joking aside, I want to use a hotpot (those things that boil water in 2 minutes) plugged into the inverter. Most hotpots are rated over 400W (I think 700W was the lowest I found them), and these are perfect for outdoor camping and expeditions.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Sean I've seen your blow dryer and it's pretty big. You should get one of the smaller models.

My wife uses the same MetroShine BeautyCurl that you do, but it's like 1200 watts. That would kill a lot of inverters, no?

At least we all know when to wake up while camping with you

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Sean I've seen your blow dryer and it's pretty big. You should get one of the smaller models.

My wife uses the same MetroShine BeautyCurl that you do, but it's like 1200 watts. That would kill a lot of inverters, no?

:rocker:

LOL That sounds like a cool plan for the mobile hot spot.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I saw you eyeing my blow dryer . . . blow dryer envy or just jealous of the size of it. :lol:

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
The only concern I would have are the power feed and ground to the inverter. They may not be able to handle the current the 1000W inverter draws. Mounting the inverter as close as possible to the battery is the better way to go. You can run the 110V current anywhere in the rig with 10 gauge wire. Actually 12 gauge would work but I am an over builder.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
This is a good question! Who came up with 400W an why was a higher wattage not an option? :thinkerg:
The 400w will run a small TV and not much more! I looked into a larger inverter 1000w but was told I need to upgrade to a HD GM alternator or risk overloading the stock unit and other problems. Hope someone rings in with some experienced advice?

·
Formerly FJ_Marine
6,237 Posts
The 400w will run a small TV and not much more! I looked into a larger inverter 1000w but was told I need to upgrade to a HD GM alternator or risk overloading the stock unit and other problems. Hope someone rings in with some experienced advice?
Upgrading the alternator would be a good idea. I would just take the stock alternator and have it re-wound. Something that should be done once you start adding additional current draws on your vehicle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts