Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The load limit on the roof rack has a lot to do with the fact that the crossbars are anchored to the rack with plastic clamps that, if weighted down too much, break quicker than Air2Air's rear end.

Make the crossbars out of better material with metal endcaps that strengthen the rack and distribute the load better.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
The load limit on the roof rack has a lot to do with the fact that the crossbars are anchored to the rack with plastic clamps that, if weighted down too much, break quicker than Air2Air's rear end.

Make the crossbars out of better material with metal endcaps that strengthen the rack and distribute the load better.
i had one break on me once. i was being an idiot and forgot that i had skis in my rack mounted to factory bars. pulled straight into the garage. since, i have switched to yakima crossbars. i can lay the racks back when not in use because of the round bar.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
I loaded a four man raft onto the rack and threw a fully loaded cooler, 4 paddles,2 poles,vests,lawn chairs,vests,radio,tent and secured it all down and later on the trip I had to climb up there cause some of the items slid back and the raft started to flutter over 50 mph. I was surprised as I weigh 240 and did not break anything and they did bend down really far! I may have put a knee dent in the roof as i went between the rails once!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I do not understand making a nice sturdy rack frame with weak cross-bars. My Subaru had much better/stronger cross bars than the mighty FJ. At the very least, offer some higher-quality units as an upgrade.

Another issue with the cross bars...why not design the rack so the cross bars can be placed anywhere front-to-back? The inconsistent spacing between the rails makes moving the cross bars more time consuming and frustrating than need be. Some bars will not even fit in some locations. Pitiful.

We love our FJ, but the rack leaves much to be desired.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here's everyones solution. Don't pay for the factory roof rack when you can get a much stronger one from us for half the price. It has metal cross bars which bolt directly to the metal side rails. They are finished in the exact same finish as the factory ones and are made to look almost identical. They are also nicely packaged, and come with complete instructions and all hardware needed. Did I also mention that they come with a light bar up front which has mounts for 4 lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
They should also have an option of getting a full roof rack instead of just a half rack.:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts