Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this is what I had....

Not sure how old it was but my son-in-laws parents wanted it for their place and had a pop-up camper they would trade me for. So I strapped it down for the trip to get the pop-up, a 1966 model (quite a bit newer than my old wagon) ....

and this is what I got. (I've taken off the canvas to have it replaced.

So I plug in the trailer to see if the refridgerator works and nothing. I take it out and discover that it's an ice box with cardboard insulation...

So replaced it with this from wally world...

Now for the neat stuff that came with this pop-up, like a toilet and shower (under a bench seat)...

Need to shower and there are no water hookups? Not a problem...

Anyway I think this is my new money pit. :lol:

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Ya, I picked up a used Coleman/Fleetwood last fall. took it up to Moab a few weeks ago. So far it's only needed a battery and three new tires.

Hope this doesn't cut into the mod money for the FJ.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I can't figure who made out better on the trade,LOL, just kidding! I really want to find a used Pop up on the cheap. Once you camp in one,pitching a tent won't cut it anymore!

·
Registered
308 Posts
I love old campers, especially older Airstreams. We had a pop up camper for 2 years. Purchased it for a HUGE road trip a few years ago, worked wonderfully then turned into a storage shelf in my garage. Sold it and only lost a grand from what we paid new.
Right now I'm back to pitching the tent until I can afford a roof top model.
I look forward to seeing the end results once ya get er' back together. :bandit:

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Hey, That looks like an old Starcraft. I used to have one like it.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, It's a Starcraft Constellation. Not sure where the Constellation rates it for the ones they made back then. This one apparently didn't even have it's own battery, just some long wires with alligator clips to attach to your rig I guess. Of course the only thing in it however that uses 12 volts is the overhead light.
We've always tented in the past and tented last year in Ouray at Ridgeway. Last year we had a really bad storm in Raton NM on the way to the summit and the tent we had leaked like a sieve (where the fabric was seamed to the bottom tart) and I spent most of the night bailing water while the wife slept in the FJ. The next day we replaced the tent and of course it didn't rain again. So this will be a real upgrade for us. Not sure how much though it will cost extra in gas to trailer it to CO and back from TX. Probably could stay in a real room but then where's the fun in that.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love that wagon! Ron
Really wanted to keep it but the wife says we have too much stuff rusting on our place as it is. My son-in-laws parents grew up in southwest Texas on large arid cattle ranches so it's appropriate that they have it. One of their other sons has a lot of old aged wood to replace what has rotted out. I had several people want to buy it when I would stop at places when it was loaded up and I was towing it. All of them offered me more than that pop-up is worth but life isn't all about money.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I understand.. It just conjures up images of the west.. You are correct, life is not all about money.
and it's a good thing..LOL.. Ron

Really wanted to keep it but the wife says we have too much stuff rusting on our place as it is. My son-in-laws parents grew up in southwest Texas on large arid cattle ranches so it's appropriate that they have it. One of their other sons has a lot of old aged wood to replace what has rotted out. I had several people want to buy it when I would stop at places when it was loaded up and I was towing it. All of them offered me more than that pop-up is worth but life isn't all about money.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Me and my wife got a lot of use out of a old rockwood. I think we paid 700.00 for it. I added all kinds of cool stuff to it like a swing out BBQ, 30gallon water tank, electric pump and so on. I gave it too a friend of mine when we were done with it, he got a few uses out of it and then lost the axle on the freeway.

have fun with your new toy.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
my family used to have an old jayco pop up had some good times in that thing

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Its to bad that you could nto have "converted" the old wagon into some kind of new Pop up... That would be interesting but most likely alot more money..

·
Registered
6 Posts
1996 Dutchman Duck pop-up. Using the heck out of it, from the coast Oregon to the mountains of Utah. IMO pop-ups are the way to go. EZ tow, quick set up, nice step up from tent camping.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts