Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Upgraded my FJ to the OEM TRD Bilstein's (PTR13-35101). On the rear shocks the shaft is approximately 2mm bigger so a nomal upper bushing mount will not work 馃槥. Does anyone know where I can get these and get them ASAP? thanks in advance!

Premium Member
When I was confronted with the same dilemma I found that even if I bought all the matching washers and stuff the hole in the frame was still too small, and because it is a stepped hole couldn't be simply drilled out without losing that step.

So, I used the big rubber doughnuts that came with the new shocks and that seemed to work OK.

Premium Member
Details from my research 4 years ago on this topic:

'07~'08 used a small, 12mm diameter top stud for their rear shocks.
From '09 it was increased to a more industry standard 14mm size.

The frame hole was changed from 22.25 -> 25mm.
The mating rubber grommets, and washers were also changed at that time.

This means that the Bilstein TRD shocks for '07~'08 were specially made with the smaller top stud. They were colored red/blue, instead of the standard Bilstein Yellow/Blue color. Those special red Bilsteins were Toyota part number PTR13-35061. If you can find those, they might be a better solution for the rear of an '07~'08 FJ Cruiser.

Otherwise, if you buy Bilsteins today they'll come with the standard 14mm top stud.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Details from my research 4 years ago on this topic:

'07~'08 used a small, 12mm diameter top stud for their rear shocks.
From '09 it was increased to a more industry standard 14mm size.

The frame hole was changed from 22.25 -> 25mm.
The mating rubber grommets, and washers were also changed at that time.

This means that the Bilstein TRD shocks for '07~'08 were specially made with the smaller top stud. They were colored red/blue, instead of the standard Bilstein Yellow/Blue color. Those special red Bilsteins were Toyota part number PTR13-35061. If you can find those, they might be a better solution for the rear of an '07~'08 FJ Cruiser.

Otherwise, if you buy Bilsteins today they'll come with the standard 14mm top stud.
I have a 2010 FJ and the shocks I ordered are the red and blue ones. The hole in the frame appears large enough for the shaft to go thru, the hole size is only 2mm difference, so close but yet so far.馃槥

1 - 6 of 6 Posts