Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well after making what is possibly the worst decision I could have ever made when upgrading the suspension, my Icons are gone. 3 years and 6 rebuilds all I can say is Icon is crap!!! Next thing to do is ditch the craptastic Icon UCAs. Who ever thought that undersized washers was a good idea needs to be shot. Thanks to them being undersized they are eating in to the bushings and causing movement in the UCA.

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,295 Posts
So Happy I went with Kings!! I'm also happy to see you got rid of the garbagecons! I haven't had any problems with my Camburg Balljoint UCA's, i'm sure you'll be happy no matter which route you go

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So Happy I went with Kings!! I'm also happy to see you got rid of the garbagecons! I haven't had any problems with my Camburg Balljoint UCA's, i'm sure you'll be happy no matter which route you go
The ToyTecs (Radflos) are so much better than the Icons ever were. I have thought about the Camburgs but I'm leaning more towards the SPCs because of the adjust-ability. I need to do some reading on the SPCs before I make a final decision.

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
Get yourself some coilover covers, they will greatly extend the life if your coilovers.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Mitt78,

Interesting subject. A few months back I pulled the trigger and install Icon coilovers and their aluminum, adjustable UCA's. It was a substantial investment and frankly I was expecting more from this system. My Bilstein's provided better handling and ride quality.

Could you please do a write-up comparing the Toytec's to the Icons.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mitt78,

Interesting subject. A few months back I pulled the trigger and install Icon coilovers and their aluminum, adjustable UCA's. It was a substantial investment and frankly I was expecting more from this system. My Bilstein's provided better handling and ride quality.

Could you please do a write-up comparing the Toytec's to the Icons.
I was always unimpressed with the Icons for what they cost. I only had 3k miles on the Icons when they first blew but I know people who found them leaking right out of the box.

It has been too hot to do much of anything outside around here. The FJ was reading 112F in the shade yesterday. I hope that it cools down some here so I can some trail time on the ToyTecs for a real comparison. Right now all I can compare is with the few miles I put on pavement with the ToyTecs. The ride quality of the ToyTecs is far superior to the Icons. With the ToyTecs I don't feel the bumps in the road like I did with the Icons, but at the same time the ride feels firmer with the ToyTecs. As far as handling, the ToyTecs and no front swaybar handles better than the Icons with a front swaybar.

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,295 Posts
from the top 4... Icon, really good customer service because you have to have great customer service when your **** breaks and leak all the time... Fox, crappy customer service but you don't need good customer service when your stuff rarely rarely breaks or leaks. King, Outstanding Customer service and their stuff rarely breaks!.... Bilstein, most of their stuff comes with a Limited Life Time Warranty. Bilstein, King and Fox, All born from racing, all have multiple trips to victory lane! SAW, OME, Walker Evans... all good stuff too.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
from the top 4... Icon, really good customer service because you have to have great customer service when your **** breaks and leak all the time... Fox, crappy customer service but you don't need good customer service when your stuff rarely rarely breaks or leaks. King, Outstanding Customer service and their stuff rarely breaks!.... Bilstein, most of their stuff comes with a Limited Life Time Warranty. Bilstein, King and Fox, All born from racing, all have multiple trips to victory lane! SAW, OME, Walker Evans... all good stuff too.
Icon customer service for me has been crap! I always end up with a stress headache that lasts for days. In fact the last time I had to deal with them they kept trying to get me to pay for things they said they would cover. When I finally got to talk with Scott Spiva he still tried to get money out of me and I told him to keep the shock and ill just post about what transpired. He got pissed and said the shock would be shipped that day.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Mitt78,

You described my situation exactly. With my current setup I feel every small bump in the road. When I installed my Icon system I also added E rated tires and thought that the tires were the cause of my dislike of the ride quality. I've played with tire pressure to no avail. You've confirmed my suspicion that the Icons are just not cutting it.

My experience with Icon is that they do in-fact have satisfactory customer service but in my case their product doesn't provide what I'm trying to achieve. An expensive lesson for me. I've already dropped coin and ordered JBA upper control arms and Bilstein 6112's. If this setup doesn't give me the ride quality I want I'll then most likely go for Toytec.

If possible please do another review comparing the Toytecs to Icons after you've had a chance to put more miles on them. I would be interested in hearing an on, and off pavement comparison review.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
olongapo2, I understand about going to an E rated tire and thinking it could be those. I went from the old D rated wildpeaks to the new E rated ones and I could feel a difference. As it would turn out that was just before my Icons decided to leak like a stray dog on a tree. So yes it's not the tires its the Icons. The Toytec 2.5s are made by Radflo from what I understand. Im not sure if they are just branded as Toytec or if Toytec has them made to their specifications by Radflo. Either way they are superior to the Icons and cost less.

I can't really speak for the rears, Im still running Icons in the back...till they blow. Then I will upgrade them to Toytec. I'm just not sure if i want to go with the 2.5s or the 2.0 remote reservoir.

·
Premium Member
7,140 Posts
You have to really push the Icons hard to see the difference. You're not gonna be able to see a benefit on the street between a Bilstein vs a high end coilover, in fact as you say the Bilstein may even ride more comfortable on the street. If you're not using it hard you're just wasting money on the 2.5's.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You have to really push the Icons hard to see the difference. You're not gonna be able to see a benefit on the street between a Bilstein vs a high end coilover, in fact as you say the Bilstein may even ride more comfortable on the street. If you're not using it hard you're just wasting money on the 2.5's.
If Icon built a decent coilover that would be true, but they don't. There seems to be undersized shock shaft issues, or gasket issues, or some other QC issue that they can't chase down.

·
Premium Member
7,140 Posts
If Icon built a decent coilover that would be true, but they don't. There seems to be undersized shock shaft issues, or gasket issues, or some other QC issue that they can't chase down.
Unfortunately that occasionally seems to be the case. I've had mine on for about 10 years and 100k miles with one rebuild. And between my brother and I 150k miles on Icons with zero issues. QC is likely to blame during the machining process if they blow out o-rings.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Unfortunately that occasionally seems to be the case. I've had mine on for about 10 years and 100k miles with one rebuild. And between my brother and I 150k miles on Icons with zero issues. QC is likely to blame during the machining process if they blow out o-rings.
Thats why yours have lasted. Icon has gone down hill ever since Donahoe was put in jail. I have had both shock shaft and gaskets replaced and they still blew on average twice a year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As someone deciding on suspension now, these threads are very helpful. I've been debating between Icon vs Toytec and after seeing about 4 recent threads regarding Icon issues, it's making it a little easier. I always tend to overbuild whatever I'm using it for as I want no issues. I just recently redid my suspension on my sports car and have been very happy in it keeping an OEM feel, but still quite the upgrade. Other than the body roll, I enjoy how a stock FJ feels in terms of bumps, etc and seems Toytec is more aligned to that.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Same here... had the ICON's, (originally Donahoe's) for 11 years and 105K miles. Had them rebuilt once, and had them add the remote reservoirs. The first set of rear shocks were crap, so I got 2.0's with reservoirs as well.

Clearly something has changed, as they used to be universally admired, and now there's a lot of complaints. That's a problem as I was looking to get new suspension. Looks like it won't be ICON's this time.

Problem is... what to get? Fox seems to have gotten popular? This forum likes Toytec... another forum likes RadFlo direct? Having had ICON's, I'm used to a rather nice ride offload. Nothing is easy I guess?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts