Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I just bought a 2007 Fj and I realized quickly that the stock stereo/speaker system isn’t going to cut it. Has anyone done upgrades and can share what they got for it? I am open to installing additional speakers in the back and really would like some reccomendations on what to do.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Audiophiles want the sound stage up front. When at a concert, do you face the stage or turn your back to it? I recommend disconnecting any speakers that are mounted behind you. If you're looking for a low budget upgrade, replace the head unit with a quality brand and install a set of Focal plug-and-play speakers advertised for Tacoma's. These are not Focal's top of the line speakers but will perform with very little power provided by a head unit and will absolutely be an improvement over your stock system.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I went with a pioneer double din head unit. My main reason in the beginning was wanting a reverse camera. Ive since replaced all of my speakers, put a new sub and amp in the factory box as well as installed a 4 channel amp to control the front and rear speakers and its definitely a big improvement!

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
96 Posts
I went with a pioneer double din head unit. My main reason in the beginning was wanting a reverse camera. Ive since replaced all of my speakers, put a new sub and amp in the factory box as well as installed a 4 channel amp to control the front and rear speakers and its definitely a big improvement!
Hello everyone! I just bought a 2007 Fj and I realized quickly that the stock stereo/speaker system isn’t going to cut it. Has anyone done upgrades and can share what they got for it? I am open to installing additional speakers in the back and really would like some reccomendations on what to do.
I went with a Pioneer double din head unit from Crutchfield. Kicker 6x9's in the doors. Infinity's in the dash and D pillars. Disconnected the head liner speakers. And installed kicker 6 1/2" in the back passenger area. I wired these in parallel with the D Pillar speakers. Also upgraded the subwoofer to a dual voice subwoofer. (see pics)

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
96 Posts
Audiophiles want the sound stage up front. When at a concert, do you face the stage or turn your back to it? I recommend disconnecting any speakers that are mounted behind you. If you're looking for a low budget upgrade, replace the head unit with a quality brand and install a set of Focal plug-and-play speakers advertised for Tacoma's. These are not Focal's top of the line speakers but will perform with very little power provided by a head unit and will absolutely be an improvement over your stock system.
You never heard of surround sound?

·
Premium Member
980 Posts
I went with OEM Audio +. It allows you to keep the stock head unit. But, I also did add bluetooth to the stock head unit as well. Lots of options....!

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,990 Posts
I just upgraded with a Kenwood Mechless unit with CarPlay/Android Auto and I added speakers behind me in the rear passenger panels besides the seats.. I like the 'surround sound' not up front. Easy to do there is lots of space behind that panel. The Australian cars have speakers in the rear pillars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The kenwood ddx and dnx that end with a w suffix are made for Toyota’s they look really good and will take the steering wheel controls without a module in between. I’ve used CDT speakers 3 ways upfront 2in the rear pillars for fills . The amps have gone behind the rear panels in the back area with 2 subs in cabinets on the rear shelves . At a minimum do the head unit and 3 way fronts , and deadin the door panels it will sound awesome
Here’s a link that hopefully will work Car stereo installation

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, I installed the Pioneer MVH-AV251BT, along with Kenwood Excelon 6x9 separates on the doors and Kenwood 3 inch speakers. I left the factory sub and it sounds great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts