Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am needing new brakes I have a 2007 FJ cruiser sitting on a 3 inch lift kit with 285/70 R 18 do I stick with the stock or is it better for me to upgrade the brake pads the rotors or keep it factory? I have looked into different types of brake pad ceramic, carbon fiber? And rotors the drilled and slotted are they worth it?

https://www.powerstop.com/

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I am needing new brakes I have a 2007 FJ cruiser sitting on a 3 inch lift kit with 285/70 R 18 do I stick with the stock or is it better for me to upgrade the brake pads the rotors or keep it factory? I have looked into different types of brake pad ceramic, carbon fiber? And rotors the drilled and slotted are they worth it? https://www.powerstop.com/
Drilled & slotted rotors. ceramic pads, etc are for severe use (autocross, track-day events, etc.) where the amount of kinetic energy to be dissipated in the brakes exceeds the capability of the OEM braking system.

The FJ is not designed for (or suitable for) for autocross or track-day events.

One might make a case that heavier-duty brakes might be worthwhile if the vehicle is frequently towing a heavy trailer in mountanous terrain, but the short-wheelbase FJ was never intended for use as a heavy-duty tow vehicle, that's why Toyota never equipped it with any of the features that are needed for HD towing (auxiliary transmission cooler, engine oil cooler, HD cooling system, HD alternator, etc.). All these features are available on trucks that Toyota INTENDED to be used as tow vehicles.

What you'll find is that the stock braking system, under normal use, is robust and reliable, and it's possible to get 85K or more miles out of the original pads and rotors with reasonably conservative driving habits. Ceramic pads may drastically reduce rotor life, and other "high performance" pad materials may not provide good initial "bite" until they are warmed up. Aftermarket rotors may have more runout, or warp after serious use, more frequently than OEM rotors.

Stick with OEM Toyota rotors and pads, make sure that the calipers are in perfect condition (no sticky pistons, galled guide pins, etc.) and the entire brake system has been flushed with fresh fluid, and you'll be safe and happy for a long time.

Toyota spent a lot of time and money developing friction material that is suited for a broad range of driving conditions, including off-road situations that would not be expected in a street-only vehicle.

This was made very clear to me at this year's Summit, where immediately after creeping through ice-cold, deeper-than-hub water, very precise brake modulation was needed over a steep, wet, rocky descent. Braking performance was superb, with excellent "feel" and perfectly linear response. On the street, I'd characterize the FJ's braking system feel as mushy and "dead", with little feedback, and pedal feel like you're stepping a big, solid rubber ball. However, off-road, it's great.

·
Premium Member
13,483 Posts
I did my brakes @ 180k mi, I replaced the entire system with:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinf...LkBM0eSyoEsEdTC/cCngBpSL7gw/a6VCxgRgu7HxVBf4=

Overkill? Maybe....but I also did not want to be in a position where I would be the guy looking for a caliper at 3:30 on a Saturday afternoon because I have a stuck piston. Fortunately my calipers were fine, rotors had more than half life left but in the end my peace of mind was well worth the price.

Brakes have been performing just fine - are they better than stock? Time will tell.

Reactions: jamesepoop

·
Registered
348 Posts
Haven't done brakes on my FJ yet, but my usual combo is EBC pads and EBC or StopTech rotors.
Sporty cars get EBC Redstuff pads and slotted (not drilled) rotors.

For the FJ, I'd probably go with their extra duty light truck/jeep/suv pads and smooth rotors.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If you need better stopping Lexus GX470 brake kit does good or for more money TRD big brake kit that comes with rotor and pads, otherwise the most cost effective and very good performance comes from replacing stock pads with TRD pads as I have done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts