Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got me a 2010 Iceburg with the TRD package and love it. One thing I dont care for is the basic audio system. Seems like there is just 2 speakers in the doors and speakers in the headliner. I want to upgrade bigtime. The dash has the speaker inserts with no speakers and the rear pillars have nothing just the square covers where the speakers should go. I would be fine leaving the factory radio in and just upgrading to six speakers with a sub in the back and an amp. Anyone have any suggestions or experience that would not cost me an arm and a leg but would make me happy with the sound? Thanks ahead of time...

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Just got me a 2010 Iceburg with the TRD package and love it. One thing I dont care for is the basic audio system. Seems like there is just 2 speakers in the doors and speakers in the headliner. I want to upgrade bigtime. The dash has the speaker inserts with no speakers and the rear pillars have nothing just the square covers where the speakers should go. I would be fine leaving the factory radio in and just upgrading to six speakers with a sub in the back and an amp. Anyone have any suggestions or experience that would not cost me an arm and a leg but would make me happy with the sound? Thanks ahead of time...
I replaced mine with a new HU, components for the dash/front doors, coaxial speakers in the suicide doors, two sub-woofers, and two amps. You should be able to get all the pieces for around $1500. My amps are under the front seats. I will probably move them because they get real hot and I don't think they are getting enough ventilation.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just finished performing this particular mod, I replaced the head unit your choice of after market hardware anything is better than that POS head unit even the fjammer is crap, the headunts that come stock severly limits the sound freqs that are reproduced. I was able to buy some alpine- R series 6x9's for the door, and rockford fozzies for the pillars in the rear and dash these are 3.5 inch pretty good speakers that are pretty cheap about 70 dollars or less. I also got a Rockford 8 inch for the sub great sub, and an alpine pDX-f4 amp off of amazon for half price!

Now the fun stuff! If you know what you are doing install wise you will have no problem, if not you may want to have someone do it for you. There is going to be some modifications to the door speaker area and or an adaptor, the rear pillar speaker itself will have to be modded and some part of the pillar housing. Some of the same for the dash as for the pillar. I am currently putting together a "this is what I did" thread for this stereo setup, give me about a week and I will have It up
I hope this helps a little.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts