Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys sorry for the dumb question but please help me understand what these 3 things do....and most important where do they go??(talk to me like a 2 yr old lol ) I am new to owning anything like the FJ I just put on a OME 3in lift and will be adding 285/70/17s BFGs this week, are these 3 things that I have listed necessary? I do plan on getting my FJ dirty(trails, sand, mud, water holes) but will never be doing any kind of hardcore rock climbing or anything like that.......so do I need this stuff? (all parts I have seen were from ALL PRO upper A arms, sway bar links, sway bar collars)

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
I'll take a stab at it.
I don't know that any of these are "needed". After I installed my 3" lift I got it aligned. The person who did the work said that he ran out of adjustment. Some of the aftermarket control arms are built to correct the alignment issues.

I'm running stock links with no problems. As far as collars I think they are to keep the sway bar from tearing the CV boot if something breaks, there are threads on this I'll have to look up for my own knowledge.

I know lots of people that have reported breakage on suspension parts here. I too would like to know how extreme of 4 wheeling it takes to break things.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Folks think that the sway bar links are breaking because the alum collars (which are pressed on, can easily be move out of place) on the sway bars are shifting. When this happens it cause room for the sway bar to shift left to right/right to left (what ever).
When the sway bar can move over far enought it will hit the shock or what ever, cause the sway bar links to break. And some case the links would break and swing down breaking the CV boot.

Bottom line, preventive measures. Secure the aluminium clamps from moving out of place OR just to keep the sway bar from having side ward play in it.
This can be done in two ways
1-Reinforce the alum collars
2-Replace the collars with clamping collars.

Get some shaft collars in 1 1/8 inch INSIDE DIAMETER (the sway bar is 1 1/8 in diameter) AND place them on the inboard side of the sway bar bushing butting up against the alum collars on the sway bar(or replace the alum collars with the clamping ones having them pushing against the sway bar bushing).

You want the sway bar collars (either the stock alum or your add-on) to be tight against the the bushings. Pretty much like to have pushing outward force on the bushings.

This will help keep side to side sway bar movement.
Make sense to you?

I ordered stock replacement sway bar links and Heavy duty AllPros. I am so sure they are breaking because of the statement above. I am so sure that the collars will solve this problem, I even replace my links with STOCK OEM LINKS.
PS I haven't even recieved my heavy duty sway bar links from AP yet. But they are for sale.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you so much!! ok so looks like I may just buy some collars and hopefully its some cheap insurance......looks like the loose OEM aluminum collars sliding around was causing alot of the OEM sway bar links to bend or break. I dont think I will go with the allpro links now.....I think I will just reinforce what I have. good idea?

ok here is another question how about the rear? I have seen on all pros website lower control arm links(excuse my ignorance) are these the long tubes that run in the rear? should these be swapped out? again will never be doing anything really hardcore(rock climbing and so on) but will have it off roading.........and have noticed that cowboy4x4 offers a rear sway bar link FJC Heavy duty rear sway bar links - Adventure4x4 is this the same as the allpro control arm link???? damn I am so confused with this **** lol if not what does it do and is it needed?? or can I keep OEM with my lift thanks guys!!

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
The shaft collars, I would try and get the alum ones versions of the shaft collars. The oxide one from Fastenal are rusting through. Once I get a chance I will be swapping out for some alum ones.

I personaly would keep off roading with stock, and replace as needed with either heavier duty or stock when things break.

·
Registered
433 Posts
well here is my .02 I too have a three inch lift and the alignment shop was just able to get it aligned. I'm definatley going to be getting the upper arms to allow more adj.. also for strength. I run the OME heavies on all four corners so I dont run with a front sway bar, I will be adding limiting straps to the front end to keep the suspension from going to full extension, I have had no issues on cornering at all. As for the rear track arms I replaced mine with the Man-a-fre ones. The "links" I sell are for the rear sway bar they are slightly longer to allow for the lift and puts the rear sway bar back in place. As far as "needing" this stuff...I dont care for rockcrawling it is hard on equipment..but...even in average offroading you may come across a small rock garden, hit a ditch to fast and so on. The stock rear track arms I think are a must to replace, I have seen them bent on just minor hits. The front sway bar has multiple people trying to really figure what is going on, If your going to keep the front sway bar I would say get the collars ,It would be cheap insurance if that turns out to be the problem JMO....Thomas

1 - 8 of 8 Posts