Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be installing SPC upper control arms on my '14 soon, but have some questions about removal of the upper control arm bolt on the driver's side.

The bolt itself has an integral washer under the hex head, and it looks like the bolt head/washer will interfere with the fender liner/sheet metal structure under the battery box when trying to pull the bolt all the way forward to free the UCA.

For anyone who has replaced the UCAs on a '13 or '14 model, did you encounter any interference when removing the driver's side UCA bolt?

Any input from anyone who has actually removed this bolt is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I have done it on my 07 and had to bend out the metal on the inner fender well to get the bolt out. I am not certain if that is the procedure on the 14, but I would imagine so.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
On my ‘07 I removed the battery and the piece that it sits on.

One tip... remove those pieces before putting the vehicle up on stands. Easier on the back.

·
Premium Member
12,417 Posts
Same as what Corey and Thorn have said. When it reinstalling them a second set off hands helps whilst trying to get bushings, washers etc lined up and push the bolt in at the same time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts