Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well on our way to Moab through central Wyoming and the upper windshield molding flew off. People drive fast out here but this 18 wheeler hauling a dump truck on the bed must have been doing 85+. Wind hit hard and pop saw my molding bouncing down the highway.
All the clips are broken it seems. What’s the best way to get this part? To the dealer or is there a good website? Not interested in a chinsy eBay replica or anything I’ll pay for oem.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,555 Posts
Sounds like a Toyota dealership is in your near future...if you’re going through Salt Lake City you’ll have no problem. GL!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Dealership / OEM is the only way to go.
The 4 white clips are sold separately.
You can get a caulk tube of windshield urethane from autozone. Glob it on good between clips and at the red tabs and tape it down tight while it cures.

Just did mine a few weeks ago.....

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
Not sure about adding urethane adhesive to it. Won't that guarantee the whole molding will have to be replaced the next time the windshield is replaced?

·
14,839 Posts
Well on our way to Moab through central Wyoming and the upper windshield molding flew off. People drive fast out here but this 18 wheeler hauling a dump truck on the bed must have been doing 85+. Wind hit hard and pop saw my molding bouncing down the highway.
All the clips are broken it seems. What’s the best way to get this part? To the dealer or is there a good website? Not interested in a chinsy eBay replica or anything I’ll pay for oem.

·
Registered
2008 Voodoo 6mt
34 Posts
Out of curiosity, does anyone with the steel upper molding have the issue with it blowing off?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Out of curiosity, does anyone with the steel upper molding have the issue with it blowing off?
Yes. I had an aftermarket metal moulding take flight. The clips actually didn't fail, it pulled the moulding side clips out of the folded slot that holds the clips into the metal moulding. It was an aftermarket part and it didn't fit that well to begin with in my opinion. I replaced it with the newer OEM plastic version which has so far remained attached. I do notice some more noise with the plastic moulding but only when it's really windy.

·
Registered
2008 Brick Red 6MT w/ARB Deluxe Front, Warn 8,000lb winch
27 Posts
Due to the fact that stretches of I-80 through Wyoming have an 80mph speed limit it’s not unusual for commercial trucks to hit 85mph or more. Just an FYI for others heading through the area. It’s also lousy with HP! So watch out

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
Driving in that area the biggest impression made is how difficult it can be to pass a semi, and that's when you are going 85~90mph, because they are going so fast. A VERY unique experience!

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
37,980 Posts
It's even better in the winter with snow and ice and lots of wind....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Due to the fact that stretches of I-80 through Wyoming have an 80mph speed limit it’s not unusual for commercial trucks to hit 85mph or more. Just an FYI for others heading through the area. It’s also lousy with HP! So watch out
Yeah this wasn’t the interstate. 85+ is not normal for 2 lane traffic here. This was a 2 lane south of Casper. Headwind from across the interstate probably wouldn’t interfere, but from 10’ or so away it hits pretty hard. And you think passing them is hard on the interstate going the same direction in winter you really need to try going opposite direction of a WyDot plow truck on a 2 lane in snow and ice.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Not sure about adding urethane adhesive to it. Won't that guarantee the whole molding will have to be replaced the next time the windshield is replaced?
Only if you're not careful.
You only glue the front, at the edge of the glass.
A body knife under the front can cut it loose before you start prying.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah this wasn’t the interstate. 85+ is not normal for 2 lane traffic here. This was a 2 lane south of Casper. Headwind from across the interstate probably wouldn’t interfere, but from 10’ or so away it hits pretty hard. And you think passing them is hard on the interstate going the same direction in winter you really need to try going opposite direction of a WyDot plow truck on a 2 lane in snow and ice.
Oh wow, I’ve seen some speedy semi’s on 287 but never quite that severe. They must get pulled over more south of Laramie and risk it more up north. Wild! Sorry that happened to ya.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh wow, I’ve seen some speedy semi’s on 287 but never quite that severe. They must get pulled over more south of Laramie and risk it more up north. Wild! Sorry that happened to ya.
Where are you at? Most people that love in wyo don’t even know 287

·
Premium Member
2013 Trail Teams <>< <>< <*((^(((><
336 Posts
So a broken windshield it the cause of a variety issues, none that can be easily fixed. I am fortunate my original windshield is still intact. I have used a 3M clear film product on some of my vehicles as it cuts down the UV rays and keeps the inside temperature cooler as I live in FL. The film also keeps the glass from breaking as easily. I did not put it on any of my front windshields as my fear is if someone in my vehicle hit the front windshield it would not break into little pieces as designed and cause harm to them. Having said that it may be personal preference to do the front windshield. My thought was what if it was installed on the outside of the window? My guess is the odds of the window getting chipped or cracked would go way down. I am not sure how durable it would be on the outside. Just thinking out loud as some folks have replaced their windows multiple times and it is always seems to be an adventure and not in a good way.

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
You are correct, adding a clear film to the outside of the windshield can help reduce its risk of chip/crack. The concern is how quickly the soft resin would scratch from the wiper blades and then reduce visibility at night, so it might have to be replaced periodically because of that.

Note that adding a film to the outside would actually help someone who hit it, because they would be less likely to be cut by the shards. Same goes for you on the inside, if you hit it (though, these days, everyone wears their seatbelt so hitting the inside of the windshield is kind of a thing of the past).

Norm

·
Registered
27 Posts
Where are you at? Most people that love in wyo don’t even know 287
I’m from the Pinedale area, folks still live up near the Winds. I’ve been in Laramie for the past decade, went to the University, haven’t left yet haha.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’m from the Pinedale area, folks still live up near the Winds. I’ve been in Laramie for the past decade, went to the University, haven’t left yet haha.
Ha good deal. We are in Sheridan. Got a good sized summer off road safari that they do here every year. Mix of easy, moderate and difficult trails. Should take a trip up and bring some other Toyota guys. Last year I think 60-65 vehicles registered for trails and 2 Toyotas.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I actually just had this same thing happen to me this weekend. Driving ~65 mph on the highway, gust of wind, and I hear a loud clunk on the roof/rack and glimpsed the trim piece flying through the air in my rear view. Looked like it just barely missed the car behind me. I couldn't find it on the shoulder or median. I got a quote today from my local non-chain windshield shop. They order in the OEM trim piece and clips; total would be just a little north of $140 to replace and reinstall it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ha good deal. We are in Sheridan. Got a good sized summer off road safari that they do here every year. Mix of easy, moderate and difficult trails. Should take a trip up and bring some other Toyota guys. Last year I think 60-65 vehicles registered for trails and 2 Toyotas.
Very cool! I’ve always wanted to do some exploring of the Bighorns, never been in those mountains. My experience is mainly with the Winds, Gros Ventres and Tetons area.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts