Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I actually just had this same thing happen to me this weekend. Driving ~65 mph on the highway, gust of wind, and I hear a loud clunk on the roof/rack and glimpsed the trim piece flying through the air in my rear view. Looked like it just barely missed the car behind me. I couldn't find it on the shoulder or median. I got a quote today from my local non-chain windshield shop. They order in the OEM trim piece and clips; total would be just a little north of $140 to replace and reinstall it.
I’m not trying to negative but there is zero chance they have an oem part and their labor in that price. The oem piece alone costs more than that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’m not trying to negative but there is zero chance they have an oem part and their labor in that price. The oem piece alone costs more than that.
Possibly. I went ahead and had them replace it. The invoice showed list price for the part at $209.03 and then a 40% discount that brought it to $125. Not sure why I got the discount, didn't ask. The rest was tax and "other fees" that brought it to $142.37. They didn't list labor charge on the invoice. Literally the thing was 5-10 minutes for them to clean and prep the area, apply adhesive, snap down with the clips, and then they applied a few pieces of tape that they recommended to leave on for 24 hours. It's possible it wasn't OEM, but that's what they told me they used. I didn't ask to inspect it or see the box. This place has done good work for me the in past so I just trusted. 🤷‍♂️ They mentioned they felt the previous one maybe failed due to improperly and scantly applied adhesive on the previous installation.

YMMV

·
Registered
17 Posts
This has happened to me twice. I have not replaced it a third time on my '13TT. Also it recently developed the leak alot of guys have with the LH front pillar. I plan to carry it to the body shop, and get it all fixed at one time.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts