Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, long time troller first time poster here lol

So I’ve been getting the notorious wind vibration from my windshield molding, but have yet to do anything about it because I had my roof painted black, as well as the molding obv and in stead of going through the headache of repainting or matching matte black shade I just left it.

Well last night out of curiosity I “gently” lifted on the corner of said molding to see if it was loose, also to try and get an idea of how I might remove and replace it. (My inner voice discourages me from this for fear of something unfixable happening but I quickly shut him down)

Long story short, I snapped the driver side corner and am not left with a broken molding. Question I have is, has anyone removed/reinstalled the molding, and does the upgraded part from Toyota fix the vibration? Also, are there any eBay or aftermarket equivalents that are less expensive, and has anyone modified the molding to garauntee no vibration??

Thanks everyone, sorry for the Iliad above! ��

·
Premium Member
2,731 Posts
the molding is attached by several plastic clips (a new Toyota upper molding comes with new clips)

It is common for cheap windshield replacement shops to try and reuse the part, which rarely works well.

You can try removing yours and buying new clips from your dealer and re-installing it (often the molding gets cracked or bent, though, when trying to remove it).

Or, you can try simply applying some blue painter's masking tape to yours and prove to yourself that is the cause of your noise (I am sure that it is, because a properly installed one makes no unusual noise).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the molding is attached by several plastic clips (a new Toyota upper molding comes with new clips)

It is common for cheap windshield replacement shops to try and reuse the part, which rarely works well.

You can try removing yours and buying new clips from your dealer and re-installing it (often the molding gets cracked or bent, though, when trying to remove it).

Or, you can try simply applying some blue painter's masking tape to yours and prove to yourself that is the cause of your noise (I am sure that it is, because a properly installed one makes no unusual noise).
Yeah I’m guessing when the paint shop painted my roof and windshield molding, they probably removed the molding and broke those clips and replaced it with a cheap knock-off, because prior to having it painted I’d never had the wind noise. I can’t reuse the current molding because as stated in the OP I broke the corner off it like a knuckle head.

·
13,674 Posts
It's clipped and glued. If it's vibrating, it's missing the rubber strip across the bottom. I just had mine replaced by a reputable shop that was able to reuse every header panel he's done on an FJ. And he had all new clips on hand for both the header and cowl panels. Ya gotta ask the right questions before you let someone tear your truck up.

Almost every shop I took it to said, yes they all bend & break and since mine is a colored matched roof, it's going to cost me extra out of pocket to have it painted at a body shop.

Genuine Toyota Part# 75503-35061-A0

added pic; Sorry for the dirt in the pic, but it's been raining. This is the rubber strip I mentioned.

Good luck with yours. :cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Luckily the piece has actually held in place but that’s my plan, to replace and paint it!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have had the same issues since owning my FJ in 2015 (previous owner dipped the roof). Only makes noise around 75mph or heavy wind days.

Would a bead of weather resistant silicone work? Put it right where the weather strip contacts the windshield? Just as a band-aid fix before a full replacement..

Been contemplating doing this in the spring when its not 20 degrees out...

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have replaced my windshield multiple times and never replaced that molding
If a shop tells you they must replace it find another shop as they don't know what their doing

Mine is color match and was like triple the price if I had to replace it

So it CAN BE DONE without any damage but some just tear it off and make customer replace it

I don't have a single broken tab we have always re-used the same tabs and zero noise or vibration

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,617 Posts
sunnysidepartsbarn.com

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I have had the same issues since owning my FJ in 2015 (previous owner dipped the roof). Only makes noise around 75mph or heavy wind days.

Would a bead of weather resistant silicone work? Put it right where the weather strip contacts the windshield? Just as a band-aid fix before a full replacement..

Been contemplating doing this in the spring when its not 20 degrees out...
Yes a bead of silicone will work. My windshield and molding have not been removed and started to make noise at ~75 mph. I put a bead of silicone at the weather strip and it has held for about 2 years.

Reactions: JLerna

·
Registered
140 Posts
Are the clips that typically break the colored ones on the molding or the white ones on the roof? I ordered 4x REVEAL MOLDING RETAINER [7426]***
Item# 75563-35010.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's clipped and glued. If it's vibrating, it's missing the rubber strip across the bottom. I just had mine replaced by a reputable shop that was able to reuse every header panel he's done on an FJ. And he had all new clips on hand for both the header and cowl panels. Ya gotta ask the right questions before you let someone tear your truck up.

Almost every shop I took it to said, yes they all bend & break and since mine is a colored matched roof, it's going to cost me extra out of pocket to have it painted at a body shop.

Genuine Toyota Part# 75503-35061-A0

added pic; Sorry for the dirt in the pic, but it's been raining. This is the rubber strip I mentioned.

Good luck with yours. :cheers:
We have the same truck. 2013 TT. I haven't spoken to a shop yet because I want to have as much information as I can before they try to screw me over. I have been having that really loud noise when I am driving on the highway and it is very windy. Do I need to have the whole molding replaced or just add that rubber piece? Any advice would be appreciated. Any chance your shop is in NC?

·
13,674 Posts
I have an '11 NSSE and no, we're not in NC.

Mine just needed the rubber strip. Yours may need something else, maybe a broken clip and missing the rubber or foam strip(s)? Anything is possible. ;)

These photo's are from another thread showing the clips. Click on them, they'll enlarge.

Good luck! :cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys. Long time FJC Troll. Had my cruiser for about 2 years now. Saving money so I can start modding and only cry once for my initial lift. I recently heard a loud bang while driving and couldn't figure out what it was. I then noticed a whistling noise that i've never heard before. Washing my car earlier I realized that the upper white molding was bowed out in the middle. I inspected it some more and realized that the middle portion of the molding has detached. I pryed it out even more and realized that the white plastic piece is stuck onto the fj roof itself. Im not sure if this white clip/ block is suppose to be on the mold itself or if it has detached from the mold. is this a clip that I can order online without having to order a whole new mold. Please help. I dont want this thing flying off in the middle of the freeway. I appreciate it guys.

·
Registered
595 Posts
If its a white clip in the middle of the molding I believe it has broke off the molding. white 'clips' towards the end are attached to the roof.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If its a white clip in the middle of the molding I believe it has broke off the molding. white 'clips' towards the end are attached to the roof.

Yeah. I feel like that’s what happened. I pulled it out and saw that white block attached to the roof. I’m guessing I have to get a whole new one right? So if I pull hard enough does it just all pop out?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts