Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you guys know what Primer G is? I went and bought the mold. Along with 4 new retaining clips. And black out handles ?. When installing the new one am I suppose to put sillicone on the bolt threads that hold the clips in? I’ve heard of leak coming from the bolts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is incorrect I had mine come off without it ever being worked on. Yours is probably being glued on or your'e very lucky. If you talk to an honest Toyota mechanic they will tell you that it is a common problem. Toyota is great, they just got this one wrong.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Is it safe to say, that the OEM molding has color clips? I had my windshield replaced for the first time (after almost 13 years, that ain't half bad!!) and I was with the dude when he replaced it. He told me it was an actual Toyota trim. I kept the box, because I think it was feeding me some BS!! I did notice on the one he destroyed pulling off, the clips had different colors. The one that was installed, the clips did not have any colors. It does not fit on my FJ worth a DAMN!!! I called today an did a warranty and told them I want an actual Toyota molding.

I have an '11 NSSE and no, we're not in NC.

Mine just needed the rubber strip. Yours may need something else, maybe a broken clip and missing the rubber or foam strip(s)? Anything is possible. ;)

These photo's are from another thread showing the clips. Click on them, they'll enlarge.

Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
OH yeah... I did a search, and didn't see anything about the color clips. I am pretty sure it's mentioned somewhere in some thread, but couldn't find it.

·
13,625 Posts
I understand your frustration. Most glass shops just don't know how to remove these properly so that they can be re-used. There's a whole other thread on this. You quoted me so I'm trying to make sense of it...

Did the original not come off intact and able to be re-used?

I've never heard of this molding being made by anyone other than Toyota/OEM. If you have the box, what's the part number? Does the box have red TOYOTA lettering all over it?

And then onto the COWL panel clips, were they replaced with new? If not, they'll fly off at speed. https://www.purefjcruiser.com/maintenance-c-166/auveco-fj-cruiser-cowl-clip-set-p-6413.html

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
It has a part # of MLD2652 T

and a Lot # HKBL15057

I did a google search of that part number, and something did come up about an FJ top molding. The dude who did my windshield totally destroyed my original molding. it was all bent up and... destroyed!! Then the dude told me this was an OEM part... I know he was full of..... so I kept the box.

What I was asking if you or anyone knows about the clips inside the molding, the OEM moldings do they have the color clips? Because the aftermarket one that was put on my rig didn't have the multi-color clips.

Reactions: Hannibal

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I know this is an aftermarket part... It says right on the label "Toyota FJ Cruizer 06-14" An 06 FJ...… NOPE!! if it's from Toyota it wouldn't say '06 or CruiZer. I think the Z is the true dead giveaway that this is not a Toyota part!!

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I am guessing you mean the box?? And since you said please.... Enjoy!! :grin :rofl:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
The guy who replaced the windshield also destroyed the rubber grommet for the antenna. So they ordered a Toyota molding and a new rubber grommet. I was told once it came in they would call me and schedule to replace and fix the part.

It's Safelite Auto glass... I have USAA insurance and that is who they have an agreement with.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
The guy who replaced the windshield also destroyed the rubber grommet for the antenna. So they ordered a Toyota molding and a new rubber grommet. I was told once it came in they would call me and schedule to replace and fix the part.

It's Safelite Auto glass... I have USAA insurance and that is who they have an agreement with.
I too went through USAA and Safelite. They asked all the right questions and the guy who did the work was a Toyota Master Mechanic. Before he started, he said the antenna grommet was already tearing (Ihad already ordered a new one) and that he'd do his best not to break the seal or wires to the light bar. He did a great job as far as I'm concerned.
The first yahoo's I tried wanted to install a white piece. First, they told me the P.O. painted the roof green. Then they told me ALL FJ's come with white tops and the dealer painted them. That's when I decided to go with insurance...

·
Registered
590 Posts

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Looks like there are a couple of aftermarket moldings out there. What I learned...… Have the company replacing your windshield, use an OEM molding. Even if it is an extra cost!!

·
Registered
335 Posts

Zombie thread alert...
My FJ had the glass replaced at some point before i bought it and they broke several clips. The solution was apparently to add massive amounts of window goop which eventually let go and started howling.
I broke the original getting it off, due to the massive amount of adhesive.
I took a gamble on a Flexline (all grey tabs), cleaned off the goop, installed with new clips, clicked in easily but was a little off on the windshield profile. No noise, but lasted about a week before flying off, leaving some clips behind. No support from the seller or Flexline.
Have a new one (with colored tabs) coming...
Do i need to use adhesive, and make it more prone to breaking next time it needs to come off?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Installation instructions mention - Apply adhesive. Adhesive: Toyota Genuine Windshield Glass Adhesive or the equivalent
page 49 - 53 has remove / replace info.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2011 FJ Cruiser - Iceberg - 4x4 - Automatic - Offroad Package - Convenience Package
26 Posts
This has been my biggest issue since purchasing my FJ. Fortunately my AAA insurance agent talked me into a zero deductible windshield repair on my policy. Windshield got hit with rocks when passing a dump truck and chipped pretty bad so I filed a claim with AAA and they contract with Safelite for windshield repairs. Mobile truck came to my house and replaced the windshield and molding. On my next trip out of town the new molding blew off within 30 miles of highway driving. I took it back to Safelite but this time to their shop. They replaced the molding again. Next trip out of town molding blew off around 80 miles down the highway. I took it back to Safelite again and this time they piled on the adhesive but apparently not enough. While the molding has held tight I am getting a humming vibration at high speeds on the driver side. When I inspected the bottom rubber molding it is loose in a six inch section that is allowing air to drive into the molding and cause the humming vibration. I'm going to take it back to Safelite again. Do you think they can repair it by injecting the adhesive through the gap in the lower rubber molding or do they have to remove and replace the entire molding again? I'm worried that sooner or later it will work its way loose again.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'm still using the original windshield / moulding and the moulding on the driver side screams when on the highway. Probably going to try get some rtv under the lower edge when it gets warmer.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts