Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, Thought I'd give back to the community after combing through the reams of data/posts about tires/wheels/lifts/leveling kits etc. I have a 2010 FJ 4X4 with OEM 17 Alloy rims and 63K miles that I bought in 2011 with 7-8K miles on it. I'm religious about rotating the the tires so while the tread was getting a little thin on one or two of the tires I was shopping for new tires B4 these were end of life. After looking at larger knobby tire options on the OEM RIM's, I really wanted the classic big knobby look and thought leveling the truck would be a good idea both for fitting larger tires, the look, and improved handling. Painted silver rims are getting old and I have black Rims on several of my other cars so I thought it was time to replace the OEM rims to get the larger knobby tires I wanted. Also I have always hated the nose dive on the FJ when you tap the brakes at speed so leveling the front end was something I was looking forward to improving the handling. I'm not a mud crawler, do some dirt roads occasionally, but no serious off roading. After combing through the various posts about wheel sizes, offset, and body mount chop and lift/level kits I finally made a decision and I'm SO happy I did! Install was a day and half at home on my lift with no BMC and everything fits perfect!

Wheels - Raceline Wheels 935B Defender Black 17x9 / 6x5.5/6x139.7 / 0mm
Tires - P285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grappler Tires 2857017 285 70 17 XL 4PLY 33x11.50
Struts - Revtek 923 lift/level kit

Besides the above items being recommended, the forums FAQ's and sticky posts, I also think this site Rims & Tires really helped me to understand the affects of changing tire/wheel sizes and fitment. The stock 17X7.5 OEM rims have +15mm offset. One of the sticky's talk about if you up size to 17X9 rims you need from -15-0 mm offset and a lot of the rims I looked at had -15 or -17mm offset that I liked but didn't want the tires sticking out from under the wheel wells/fender flairs. I decided on these Raceline RIMS because they offered the 0mm offset and I love the dish look without anything sticking out and the Rims & Tire size calculator said they would 100% clear the suspension. The Complete Lift Comparision Sticky was another awesome resource to identify if I had to lift and what I needed to lift vs level. I was leaning towards going with some cheap spacers to level the front end but noticed my driver side sat 1 3/4" lower than the back while the passenger sized sat 1 1/2" lower than the back. So I really wanted the option to level both sides independently and IF I needed to go higher the Revtek kit offers that. I did all the install myself, part of the Covid-19 lock down has had me looking for projects and this was a good one! The hardest part was getting the tires mounted on the rims as nobody had a machine that could handle the faux bead locker bolt heads without getting stuck on them or damaging the rim. Had to use a custom rim shop that had a fancy mounting machine that only grabs the center of the rim and walks the bead around the rim without touching rim edge.

While waiting 2 weeks for my tire mounting appointment I ended up a the Oracle LED website and ordered upgraded brake/turn/backup bulbs and installed all of them yesterday. Could not have done it without my wife's small hands. My big meat hooks could not fit in those spaces that she could so it went pretty fast and easy. Also ordered the Borla 140405 touring exhaust which should be here next week. The ultimate would be to install the Magnuson SC but let's see how long this Covid-19 lock down lasts and how bored I get. Have a 2016 Challenger Hellcat with SC that is an AMAZING car with insane torque. Not expecting the same from the FJ but a little more getup and go when getting on the highway would nice......Enjoy the pic's and if anyone is contemplating a similar upgrade all I can say is do your research and it become so clear/easy. I hate all these posts that ask will this fit, can I do this, etc if you do your research you can confidently answer your own questions without bugging everyone else with the same questions that are asked over and over. I'll get off my soap box, thanks to the forum for the wealth of info it really helped!

·
Registered
2013 FJ OD Manual
295 Posts
Bought my FJ in March this year, came with Raceline wheels & Nitto RidgeGrappler, although 265's.
as is FJ (7).jpg
FJ (13).jpg

Good to know at lift and tire time I can step it up a bit 👽

1 - 5 of 5 Posts