Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which manufacturer makes the tightest skid to the undercarriage for the Tcase/Xover pipe section for the best ground clearance?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Budbuilt Tummy Tuck - requires an aftermarket transfer case tho. But offers a completely flat underbelly.

Agreed, that is your best and most expensive option. Skids, TC, tummy tuck is what about $2800?

The next best option would be the allpro tc skid or trailgear tc skid. Difference of about an inch over other setups.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Add another $1000 for TC, full set of skids, new crossmember, and exhaust, unless bud is running some new promotion.
I was way off then. I was thinking the TC was around $1800 plus $7-800 for the skids, tuck $300.......$2900. Guess, I had it all wrong. :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
I have the AllPro Transfer Case skid and it is standalone.

·
Premium Member
17,641 Posts
I was way off then. I was thinking the TC was around $1800 plus $7-800 for the skids, tuck $300.......$2900. Guess, I had it all wrong. :lol:
A lefty is $2400 with an adapter plate, full set of budbuilts run $1000, new crossmember $400, misc. tubing and flanges for a new exhaust $100 or so. Definitely the most uptight skids, but there are more cost effective options with a stock TC as you pointed out.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
A lefty is $2400 with an adapter plate, full set of budbuilts run $1000, new crossmember $400, misc. tubing and flanges for a new exhaust $100 or so. Definitely the most uptight skids, but there are more cost effective options with a stock TC as you pointed out.
Thanks for the info on pricing. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Totally agree that the full tummy tuck would be the way to go for as much ground clearance as possible, but way to costly at this point. Plus my FJ is a daily driver so a lower geared Tcase wouldn't make sense. I was hoping to find out which skid plate for the Tcase/x pipe gives the most ground clearance.

Originally I wanted to pick up a complete set of skids but to pricey for me at this point, so I want to atleast get the Tcase and x pipe covered and in so doing keep as much ground clearance as possible.

I've looked at about every company offering one, but it's hard to tell from the pics alone. I was hoping to hear from some people that have seen them in person and/or have put them to use to get some feedback.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
The next best option would be the allpro tc skid or trailgear tc skid. Difference of about an inch over other setups.
Totally agree that the full tummy tuck would be the way to go for as much ground clearance as possible, but way to costly at this point. Plus my FJ is a daily driver so a lower geared Tcase wouldn't make sense. I was hoping to find out which skid plate for the Tcase/x pipe gives the most ground clearance.

Originally I wanted to pick up a complete set of skids but to pricey for me at this point, so I want to atleast get the Tcase and x pipe covered and in so doing keep as much ground clearance as possible.

I've looked at about every company offering one, but it's hard to tell from the pics alone. I was hoping to hear from some people that have seen them in person and/or have put them to use to get some feedback.
Answered your ? earlier. The allpro or trailgear transfercase skid offers the most clearance.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Answered your ? earlier. The allpro or trailgear transfercase skid offers the most clearance.
Cool, thanks very much. I checked them both out and as of right now I'm leaning towards the TG skid, it looks flush with the x-member and it's $50 less than the Allpro. That's $50 I can put towards a complete set of skids for down the road. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I have the TG skid as well and it is a BEAST. Price was good as well. Mounting it took all of 30 minutes in the driveway with simple hand tools. I DID end up adding a few washers (maybe 3/16 worth) into the space between the frame cross member and the skid to prevent the exhaust from touching the skid and making THE WORLD'S MOST ANNOYING VIBRATION. But that was an easy fix.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the AllPro Transfer Case skid and it is standalone.
I have the TG skid as well and it is a BEAST. Price was good as well. Mounting it took all of 30 minutes in the driveway with simple hand tools. I DID end up adding a few washers (maybe 3/16 worth) into the space between the frame cross member and the skid to prevent the exhaust from touching the skid and making THE WORLD'S MOST ANNOYING VIBRATION. But that was an easy fix.
Thanks for the pics and feedback on the Tcase skids everyone, plus the tip with the washers, much appreciated. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
As said before the best option for maximum clearance is a tummy tuck. There is a lot that has to be done to accomplish one of those as said earlier. For a stock set up, the best option for clearance is Ricochet. In the photo below is an All Pro, notice the bend in the cross over pipe. Buds cross member does the same thing.
Now take a look at my cross member.

DSC_6474 by cnckart, on Flickr
Completely flush with the bottom of the frame rails. That's an inch of clearance over the competittion:cheers:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For a stock set up, the best option for clearance is Ricochet. In the photo below is an All Pro, notice the bend in the cross over pipe. Buds cross member does the same thing.

Completely flush with the bottom of the frame rails. That's an inch of clearance over the competittion:cheers:
Cool! Thanks! The pics really show the differences between the two different skids, much appreciated :bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
As said before the best option for maximum clearance is a tummy tuck. There is a lot that has to be done to accomplish one of those as said earlier. For a stock set up, the best option for clearance is Ricochet. In the photo below is an All Pro, notice the bend in the cross over pipe. Buds cross member does the same thing.

I forgot about your products since I was only thinking about steel skids.

Your TC skid offers an inch more clerance over the allpro TC skid? My allpro TC crossmember didn't sit an inch below the frame rails. So, I don't see how an inch over the allpro or TG would be possible. Unless, your talking about the portion of your skid that angles up directly after the exhaust and tucks against the hanging TC?

·
Premium Member
17,641 Posts
Unless, your talking about the portion of your skid that angles up directly after the exhaust and tucks against the hanging TC?

That is what he is referring to. It does give you more clearance at that location (not neccessarily anymore @ crossmember than the ones you mentioned), but there are reasons why other skid mfgs. don't have their skids designed that way.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update

Wanted to post an update on what Tcase/x-pipe skid I decided to go with. Well it just seems that all the stated skids are pretty close to being the same in serving their purpose. I ended up going with the Ricochet Tcase skid because I can build off of it and it was easier with placing just one order (at the same time I was picking up a set of UCA's). I ordered a set of Total Chaos UCA's from MetalTech and it just made sense to order the Ricochet skid from them also. Plus Ricochet had the skid in anodized Black which is a bonus for me, a black skid is what I was looking for. Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread with helping to making a decision. :cheers:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts