Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have compared these, or have one and dig it, please post.
After reading all the threads, and checking the sites, i think a cut aluminum rack is the best platform for my rtt.
These two are close in price.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Uptop and most are copies of Prinsu.. I have the uptop alpha on my FJ. ( on my build page) No wind noise nothing, i have 40 inch double row light bar on front... Tho i think, if i where to do it over again with me going with RTT i would go with big country 4x4 rack.. All welded one piece design and much easy to take rtt on and off the rack IMO.

Check them out Roof Rack Toyota FJ Cruiser i have there overland drawer system for the fj ( very impressive so far)

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
I've had a Prinsu with a Maggiolina hard-shell RTT on top for 7 years and couldn't be happier.

I actually bought only the side plates from Prinsu, and fabricated 80:20 aluminum crossbars that were 2" wider than 'standard'. I also fabricated slightly lowered mounting standoffs that sealed to the roof without gooping the bolt threads with sealant, and allow the RTT to be removed while still leaving the roof totally sealed.

I only used the heavy 1" X 2" extrusions at two points where the RTT attached, and then used the lighter 1" X 1" extrusions at all the other locations where they just reinforced the stiffness of the rack structure.

I looked at many different racks before purchasing the Prinsu, and was swayed by the versatility of the 80:20 framing system and the all-aluminum construction. Every welded steel rack I have ever seen started to show rust after 2-3 years, ever in the relatively dry southwest. I used all stainless-steel bolts and washers to mount everything.

Tire Wheel Sky Car Land vehicle

I mounted 80:20 grab rails at multiple points along the rack siderails to help access the latches on the RTT, and on both sides of the RTT's ladder.

Fixture Shade Vehicle door Automotive exterior Tints and shades

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now I think the biggest concern i have is access underneath.
The yakima tent has clunky mounts, with a knob to tighten them up. It's a little awkward tightening clamps on a set of ordinary crossbars, i'm starting to think it'll be impossible on a sideplate type rack. Once my rack is on, it's not coming off.
No matter how good the coating is, steel doesn't hold up here.

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
Do you need to use the 'clunky knobs' on the RTT clamps? Why not dump the knobs and use Nylok nuts? True, accessing the clamp nuts on my 'lowered' Prinsu was a bit of a PITA, but do-able with various open-end and GearWrench type tools.

Shade Automotive exterior Cloud Wood Building

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You may be right. I hadn't considered scrapping the yakima mounts.
I'm kinda surprised how useless the stock roof rack is. All the storage is in the back. I'd need to spend a bunch of cash adding drop in baskets and heavy crossbars to carry anything fun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the Big Country 4X4 Roof rack and love it. I used to have the Front Runner roof rack but over time it felt weak and I had to tighten up the bolts. The Big Country 4x4 roof rack feels way more rigid , it also has more space length and width wise. The up top rack feels cheap and looks limited on accessories. If you get the big country 4x4 you have a ton of accessories and mounting capabilities. The rhino roof rack is not as good as the front runner so that tells you what rack is superior to others. Victory 4x4 looks cool but isn’t built for weight or long term use. Check out my YouTube channel I have a review video on my roof rack From Big Country 4X4. If you live in the U.S. you can order it from Rugged Bound Supply Co. Out of Houston , Tx.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you have compared these, or have one and dig it, please post.
After reading all the threads, and checking the sites, i think a cut aluminum rack is the best platform for my rtt.
These two are close in price.
Check out this RTT quick release system and rack before you finalize your plans. I have a Baja rack which has served me well except for the lack of a quick release system. Maggiolina tent and this rack would be my first choice. Quick Release Tent Mount Kit - by Front Runner

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check out this RTT quick release system and rack before you finalize your plans. I have a Baja rack which has served me well except for the lack of a quick release system. Maggiolina tent and this rack would be my first choice. Quick Release Tent Mount Kit - by Front Runner
I have the RTT quick release mount and used it on my front runner and it still works on my big country 4x4 roof rack.

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
The biggest advantage to the Prinsu rack (or any rack that uses aluminum T-slot extrusions from 80:20) is the tremendous versatility and ease of assembling just about any type of support, bracket, accessory mounting point, or any other kind of structure that you want to attach to your rack.

The 80:20 modular aluminum framing system is like a giant industrial-quality Erector set, with thousands of different extrusions, brackets, fittings, adapters, handles, etc. that simply bolt together with T-slotted attachments.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, just ordered the Prinsu rack.
Sides are plainer, and there are(2) 80/20 distributors locally, if i need to get creative with mounts.
What are the odds i can get it installed w/o disturbing the headliner?

·
17,001 Posts
Loosen all bolts. DO NOT take 1 out without the other being almost out or you'll spin the nut clip and/or it'll fall off inside.

Reactions: wallace55
1 - 13 of 13 Posts