Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
would be highly interested, not sure how the laws would see it in texas. any ideas as to how they take it? any one here in tx running this? if its all good, id be looing at jumping on the line wagon

·
Registered
375 Posts
That is IF they get 10 people to get on this group buy. You may have to wait just like me to get the discount.
You may have misunderstood me. My Y pipe is already bought and paid for, just not delivered

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
would be highly interested, not sure how the laws would see it in texas. any ideas as to how they take it? any one here in tx running this? if its all good, id be looing at jumping on the line wagon
They will see it as illegal. Come inspection time, swap it out with the OEM cats. I have never been pulled over and had a police officer inspect my exhaust and go underneath my car.
Plus i could maybe convince him that the pre cats are the actual cats.(hopefully he won't know the underside of an FJ too well).

Unless you are running an extremely loud exhaust, i wouldn't expect an officer or trooper to check it.

avnmedic,
you are correct, i mis understood you. But that is sweet about trying to help out us group buy folks, thanks.

I have been interested in this pipe for a few months and contacted Gadget about another group buy months ago. Since then, I have started thinking. Why does this cost so much money (retail price is 470) ? It is simply two pieces of SS piping that has been bent, joined together at one end, and has attachment points at the other end. My entire catback exhaust (JBA stainless steel) was only 235. It has bends and attachments and includes a muffler. The previous group buy pricing seemed a lot better and more what i would think this should cost. But then again, i am no fabricator.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have been interested in this pipe for a few months and contacted Gadget about another group buy months ago. Since then, I have started thinking. Why does this cost so much money (retail price is 470) ? It is simply two pieces of SS piping that has been bent, joined together at one end, and has attachment points at the other end. My entire catback exhaust (JBA stainless steel) was only 235. It has bends and attachments and includes a muffler. The previous group buy pricing seemed a lot better and more what i would think this should cost. But then again, i am no fabricator.
Ive been thinking the same thing. I would love the pipe but its just to expensive at this price. Seems like if they lowered it to $250 then they would sell like crazy.

·
Registered
375 Posts
They sell like crazy at the price they are at....LOL Mine has been on back order since mid March. Thats okay though I wont be home to put it on for another 3 months.

·
Vendor
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hey Gadget, I have already ordered mine and it has been on back order for a while. Is there any way I can add myself to the group buy so these other folks can get their discount? BTW you and Brian have been great in helping me out with all my purchases. I look forward to meeting up with you when I get back. Thanks again.
Brian.

Yes, absolutely. If we get the 10 including yours on the GB list, we will refund you the difference. No problem there.

Gadget

·
Vendor
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Ive been thinking the same thing. I would love the pipe but its just to expensive at this price. Seems like if they lowered it to $250 then they would sell like crazy.
Our production costs on this very high quality system are very high. We are using very heavy gauge 304 stainless steel piping all hand mandrel bent and hand tig welded.

The flanges are expensive to make. They are not stamped units like other systems use, they are high quality CNC machined with effort made to smooth the airflow in the transition areas. When you get the Y pipe look very closely at the flanges, expecially the Y collector. These are not commercially avaialbe pieces and are custom made for this application.

Then comes the issue of volume. This is a high quality, but very low volume production item. If we where making them up in huge batches like those big guys turning out low quality units, the cost would be much less. It is all economy of scale. If everyone one of you all here bought one, then the cost would come way down, but as you can see, it looks like there might not even be 10 units sold...

Anyway we hope to start shipping end of this week or early next week. If you all want to do the GB, the time is now. Once we start shipping it is over.

Gadget

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yes, absolutely. If we get the 10 including yours on the GB list, we will refund you the difference. No problem there.

Gadget

Popping my head in here - Gadget, you're awesome. You guys took great care of me when I ordered the parts for hubby's truck from you. I really appreciate that, considering I had NO idea if I had it right. You'll always have our business, no doubt.

And hubby doesn't need a refund for the difference, I think he just wants to help the guys get to 10. The spoiled little turkey will live. LOL

·
Registered
165 Posts
Our production costs on this very high quality system are very high. We are using very heavy gauge 304 stainless steel piping all hand mandrel bent and hand tig welded.

The flanges are expensive to make. They are not stamped units like other systems use, they are high quality CNC machined with effort made to smooth the airflow in the transition areas. When you get the Y pipe look very closely at the flanges, expecially the Y collector. These are not commercially avaialbe pieces and are custom made for this application.

Then comes the issue of volume. This is a high quality, but very low volume production item. If we where making them up in huge batches like those big guys turning out low quality units, the cost would be much less. It is all economy of scale. If everyone one of you all here bought one, then the cost would come way down, but as you can see, it looks like there might not even be 10 units sold...

Anyway we hope to start shipping end of this week or early next week. If you all want to do the GB, the time is now. Once we start shipping it is over.

Gadget

I understand what you are saying and why the price is high.

To me it seems like the volume is low cause the price is high. All I was saying that if the price was around $200 or $250 maybe then you would sell the volume to make up for the lower price. But then you would have to take that chance and the potential to lose money.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Is this buy still open??? How many do you have?

·
Banned
60 Posts
Very interested but $470 is WAY out of a decent price for such an item. Your right though $250-$300 would be a more than fair price just like the first group-buy... Maybe down the road another company will copy the idea and sell alot of them at a fair price... Until then I'll wait... :)

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
They sell like crazy at the price they are at....LOL Mine has been on back order since mid March. Thats okay though I wont be home to put it on for another 3 months.
They are apparently not selling like crazy.
The backorder that you speak of was because they were looking at a different supplier for making these and were in a transition period if i remember correctly from what Gadget told me in a pm.

There was easily like 15-20 people that wanted to get these in a group buy before the new price was revealed. I am thinking this group buy is not going to happen (need 10 people or more to commit) at the current price of 50 dollars off retail.
For 250, i would buy this in a second. 400+, not so interested anymore.
JMHO.

·
Banned
60 Posts
I will subscribe to this thread just to keep up on these things in the event something changes... I spent some time last night looking at the actual y pipe and still just can't justify charging so much for such an item... All I could think of is making alot of money buying selling them in bulk at a lower price...

·
Vendor
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
OK folks we need to wrap this Group Buy up. The Y pipes will start shipping soon!!

URD has issued a coupon code FJYPIPE that you can use at check out on our site that will take $50 off the regular price.

The coupon will expire on Monday 5/26/08 and it is only valid for 10 uses. If you are the 11th person trying to use it, you are to late....

If all goes well we will be starting shipping of the Y pipes on Monday, May 26, 2008.

For those of you that have already placed your order, you will get a $50 credit off of the price you already paid.

Gadget

·
Banned
60 Posts
Will wait on an Actual Group Buy for a much better price if that ever happens.. Good luck on your current group buy because the current price your going to need it... :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
I was fortunate enough to get in on the previous group buy. The Y-Pipe is well worth the money for what it adds to the FJ. Though $400+ is more than the first buy, I would purchase it again even at the higher price.

Just my 2 cents!

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
I got my Y-Pipe just before I left for Oregon. I haven't had a chance to put it on, but I can comment on the quality of the pipe. Welds are perfect, looks to be a good design; overall quality is excellent. I will have comments on how it fits sometime next week.

·
Registered
375 Posts
when did you recieve yours? I have been waiting on mine for about 3 months now.

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
when did you recieve yours? I have been waiting on mine for about 3 months now.
I recieved it on this Tuesday, I ordered it on May 5th through the internet. I did continually call them beginning last week, they kept saying it was going out but it took a while. I had ordered the gaskets and they didn't have them in, so I told them to send it anyway. I was not in on the group buy. They are very nice, I would give them a call. They did say something about only getting in units for 4x4's.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts