Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First mod completed, I installed a short shifter by URD last night. Directions from URD were exact and their customer service is great. I compared URD vs. TRD and for half the price, URD got my vote. Again, the install was straight forward and fairly easy (would have taken less time if I didn't drop the plastic rivet down the transfer case). Like all mods, this install can't be rushed and extra precaution taken when reinstalling.

During the test drive with the URD short shifter, I soon realized this is how the FJ should have been built from the factory. Stock shift throw is like driving a UPS truck. After the URD installed, shifts are much quicker and crisp. Reverse is a little tighter, according to URD, this is normal.

This is a MUST for any FJ with a manual transmission.

Reactions: Cali_13TT

·
Registered
534 Posts
The short shifter rocks! Ours came with it already installed and we were in love from the beginning!

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Right on, I installed mine about 2 months ago and now cant imagine not having it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've had my URD on for about 40,000 miles with no ill effect. The install was easy and straight forward. I agree completely that this is how it should be from the factory for all 6MT FJC's, not just the SE. Reverse is definitely harder to get into, but I find this to be a good thing. Prior to the install on several occasions I found my self at traffic lights shifting into reverse instead of 1st.

Great product, half the price of the TRD and Gadget at URD is great to deal with.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
This was one of my first mods too. Huge improvement. Adding a weighted shift knob makes it even better. Reverse should be a little stiffer than stock but it will soften up over time.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I believe that the URD shift has shorter throws than the TRD, but I'm not completely sure. To make getting into reverse easier it's recommended that you get a weighted knob.

·
Registered
157 Posts
just installed the URD short shifter a few days back and I gotta say it's like night and day. This is a great mod for anyone still on the fence. Two thumbs up!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I'm wondering if you get the shift lever too.
Is this all you get with the urd kit?

or is it like the trd kit
you just get what you see on the first picture. It is a very easy install.

·
Registered
157 Posts
for the TRD kit you get the whole shifter as well as the spacer plate. The URD kit has an adapter piece that connects to the bottom piece of the stock shifter, which in my opinion is all you need. The TRD piece justifies the extra cost by just replacing the whole shifter without using an adapter.

·
Registered
225 Posts
for the TRD kit you get the whole shifter as well as the spacer plate the URD kit has an adapter piece that connects to the bottom piece of the stock shifter, which in my opinion is all you need. The TRD piece justifies the extra cost by just replacing the whole shifter without using an adapter.
Thank you that was my next question

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
The long throw is sort of nostalgic of the FJ40...

IMO anyway... :D...

I like the long throw, I just do !...

I can see a lot of plus' to having the short throw,
for off, and for on road alike !...

·
Registered
263 Posts
I don't mind the long throw either but I'm guessing that when in low, a quicker shift from second to first would come in handy while climbing a gnarly hill... I only mention this because there have times when my shift could have been quicker... TRD or URD? I have been a fan of the URD products since I got my tacoma in 05'.. The Tacoma is gone but the FJ is craving some of their parts.... Just need to make some extra money first.... The FJ is very capable in stock form but the mods sweeten the deal......:ninja:

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
URD is better IMO. I've said this a million times, but

URD: 44% shorter throws
TRD: 30% shorter throws and twice the price (maybe even more)

URD was one of my first and favorite mods. Put a weighted shift knob on too, you'll like it even more. If it is REALLY hard to get in reverse, you installed it wrong. Should only be a bit stiffer than stock. enjoy.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If the URD is an adapter piece rather than an entire revised shifter like the TRD one, does the URD sit higher than the stock shifter?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
it sits a bit higher and that was a concearn of mine but trust me you do no even feel the diference in hight. you do feel the difference in shorter shifting though

1 - 20 of 26 Posts