Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Will putting in the URD SS effect the warranty on my baby?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just installed the URD short shifter. Getting the TT shift knob off was extremely difficult (factory tight is an understatement), finally used vise-grips with a rag to minimize marking up the shaft. Other than that, the 2 dowel pins threw me off a bit - I thought the spacer plate, transmission assembly and shifter assembly would all be flush. But the dowel pins would not fit inside the URD spacer plate, even though it had the 2 wider holes? Anyway, the shifter works awesome just as everyone has reported.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Just installed the URD short shifter. Getting the TT shift knob off was extremely difficult (factory tight is an understatement), finally used vise-grips with a rag to minimize marking up the shaft. Other than that, the 2 dowel pins threw me off a bit - I thought the spacer plate, transmission assembly and shifter assembly would all be flush. But the dowel pins would not fit inside the URD spacer plate, even though it had the 2 wider holes? Anyway, the shifter works awesome just as everyone has reported.
Somethings not right, I would call URD and ask them about the dowel pins. Seems kinda spooky to me! Mines fit perfectly!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I'll call URD tomorrow when they open. Although it runs great, I want to make sure that it can't cause a transmission problem. I guess I could take it off again if my spacer plate is defective and replace it. My first install of any mod, so I am just getting my feet wet.

·
Registered
2013 FJ Trail Teams
11 Posts
First mod completed, I installed a short shifter by URD last night. Directions from URD were exact and their customer service is great. I compared URD vs. TRD and for half the price, URD got my vote. Again, the install was straight forward and fairly easy (would have taken less time if I didn't drop the plastic rivet down the transfer case). Like all mods, this install can't be rushed and extra precaution taken when reinstalling.

During the test drive with the URD short shifter, I soon realized this is how the FJ should have been built from the factory. Stock shift throw is like driving a UPS truck. After the URD installed, shifts are much quicker and crisp. Reverse is a little tighter, according to URD, this is normal.

This is a MUST for any FJ with a manual transmission.
Wanted to thank you for this post. It is the main reason I went ahead with purchase - I knew I could fix the UPS syndrome!!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts