Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I installed the URD short shifter couple weeks ago. My first impression was, yes! its shorter to shift but shifting from one gear to another is not smooth like the stock. I lose a lot more time going from one gear to another vs. the stock shifter.

My initial thought was, I did not torque the 4 shifter bolts correctly so I went in and did it again 13 lb-ft. I even loosened it more just to see if that would make a difference but it didn’t. I am not sure what would be the next thing to check. I feel like its not rocket science, its very basic upgrade in my mind. So I don’t know what I screwed up.

Any heads up would be appreciated. Also if you share your own experience on how you feel about the URD short shifter, would be great.

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
By shortening the throw of the shifter, you are loosing leverage. This makes for a more mechanical feel. You can try lubricating the contact points with heavy grease (lithium or 5th wheel) but don’t expect precision mechanics.

URD makes excellent products. Have you contacted them?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that makes sense! and no I havnt yet was thinking to call them today actually. will update the post after talking to them. thx for the heads up

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
that is my experience too, with this and other vehicles. I think it turns out that most OEMs are pretty good at finding that "sweet spot" where the throw is as short as it can be, before it starts becoming annoyingly difficult to move.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Totally! You read my thoughts and it make realize why TRD short shifter is only 30% vs the URD 44%. Now I get why TRD designed it that way.

Saw a post of someone mentioned that TRD felt much better than URD, clunkiness wise.

I will talk to URD and see what they say. If they can’t suggest a fix then will swap it out with TRD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
473 Posts
Totally! You read my thoughts and it make realize why TRD short shifter is only 30% vs the URD 44%. Now I get why TRD designed it that way.

Saw a post of someone mentioned that TRD felt much better than URD, clunkiness wise.

I will talk to URD and see what they say. If they can’t suggest a fix then will swap it out with TRD.

I have the TRD shifter which I'm very happy with. I recently replaced it with a new TRD because Toyota isolates the actual shifter from the operating lever with some rubbery compound which breaks down and allows the operating handle to flop a little which will make it hard to shift. Note mine was in use for 13 years and over 200,000 miles before it was replaced. I mention this because if I remember right the URD kit adds an extension piece onto your existing shifter and if the isolation compound is breaking down or has failed in your shifter handle it would likely explain the problems you are having. The other trouble spot is the plastic bushing at the end of the shifter that fits into the transmission shift rod. Wear on that bushing will also cause hard shifting so if the URD extension did not come with a new bushing get one and replace it. The TRD shifter kit comes with a new shifter. If you think that it might be your shifter handle you might find someone who has put in the TRD version and has there original shifter. I'd offer mine but Bandi had his shifter fail shortly after I installed the TRD so I sent it to him.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That’s solid information. Thank you guys for all the help. I am still waiting for a call from URD.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts