Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
I dont know if this has been mentioned on the forum, but toyota recently bought a piece of Isuzu in order to access their diesel technology. Toyota diesels are in the works...whether they make it to the FJ remains to be seen. But expect some diesels to be on the market in due time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
wonder if that was the only reason considering that Toyota already has diesel engines in other cars and truck outside of the US

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
I dont know if this has been mentioned on the forum, but toyota recently bought a piece of Isuzu in order to access their diesel technology. Toyota diesels are in the works...whether they make it to the FJ remains to be seen. But expect some diesels to be on the market in due time.
Based on the articles I read, GM sold their share of Isuzu last summer due to their money woes. Toyota purchased a slightly small share of Isuzu in December I believe. Now this doesn't mean GM will give up the Duramax. They will simply continue to source it from Isuzu. The articles claim that Toyota's objective is to obtain diesel technology for small trucks (which I'm sure can also be applied to cars). You may have noticed the Tundra isn't available yet with a diesel even though they said it would be in the not too distant future. I would expect a diesel to be available in the next model year or whenever they offer the 3/4 ton version.

It is possible that Toyota was working with Isuzu to source a diesel even before GM sold their small (less than 10%) share in Isuzu.

This has me thinking, Ford uses a 4.5 liter V6 version of the 6.0 diesel in their small box trucks. Wouldn't a V6 version of the current Duramax be pretty sweet in the FJ ?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts