Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have K&N air intake, with a straight pipe instead of the mufflers..
I just recently ordered the Doug Thorley Long tube headers, and need a Y-pipe to complete the full setup.
I was wondering if you guys would recommend me to go with the URD or Doug Thorley Y-pipe and why.
The reason am asking is because the Doug thorley y-pipe comes with resonators and i think that lowers the sound of the car where as the URD has no resonators which should make the sound louder.
And i want the car to sound very loud.

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks a lot in advance.
:)

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm running the URD Y-pipe on an otherwise stock exhaust system. I didn't notice any sound change, the URD crosses under the transmission so it gives more clearence under the transfer case, and it eliminates the back pair of cats and with no check engine light.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot for the fast replies
Then am guessing am going to go with the URD , it seems to be better than the Doug thorley I guess

·
Premium Member
16,407 Posts
I'm running URD Y-pipe and it may be little louder than stock, plus you get better clearance. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
im running a doug thorley y pipe with resonators and it does the same clearance thing as the urd pipe, with the y pipe you should also order the thicker gaskets or you will have an exhaust leak

·
Registered
398 Posts
bump on this question. Is there any advantage of either of the y-pipes? Both seem to allow for better clearance, but does 1 offer more clearance than the other?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Clearance is the same. URD may have a very slight advantage in an all out performance build, as it has less extreme bends. Plus, URD is stainless, where the DT is mild aluminized steel. In an otherwise stock replacement, there will be no difference in performance between the two IMO.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Clearance is the same. URD may have a very slight advantage in an all out performance build, as it has less extreme bends. Plus, URD is stainless, where the DT is mild aluminized steel. In an otherwise stock replacement, there will be no difference in performance between the two IMO.
I'm replacing mine on a supercharged system. I figured differences would be more pronounced due to this.

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
I'm replacing mine on a supercharged system. I figured differences would be more pronounced due to this.
Pastrana, I think the key is in MadToy's last sentence about 'an otherwise stock replacement'. Pretty sure he means that if you're just replacing the y-pipe on a stock exhaust system there will be minimum difference between the URD and Doug Thorley units. In my mind this is because the stock catalytic converters would still be in place. As a general consensus the factory cats are the biggest restriction in the OEM exhaust and (without removing them) cat-back exhaust mods are only going to see small gains. Like anyone else looking to supercharge their FJ, I'm sure you've probably decided to dump the stock cats already.

I have no idea what, if any differences there are in output numbers of the different y-pipes once the OE cats have been removed from the system. The Doug Thorley looks to be a little more 'equal-length' and was probably designed with their long-tube headers in mind, but I would prefer the stainless construction and high-clearance of the URD pipe myself.

:cheers:

·
Registered
316 Posts
On the URD y-pipe the back 2 cats(the ones without an O2 sensor) are deleted, is it the same for the Doug Thorley y-pipe as well?

edit; after a little research on urdusa.com I found my answer(yes)

·
Registered
98 Posts
This might help ya'll in your decision. The blue line in before the URD y and the other two are after the URD y was installed.
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]

·
Registered
398 Posts
This might help ya'll in your decision. The blue line in before the URD y and the other two are after the URD y was installed.
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]
I just knew you were going to chime in... the 4runner forum is too quiet anyway.

·
Registered
98 Posts
On my truck? No. For exhaust I have the long tubes and the urd y pipe with a stock catback. I have other misc bolt on stuff but for simplicities sake I'll stay with the exhaust modifications. The only thing that has changed between the two dyno's is the URD y pipe. I do not know the exact difference between the urd y pipe for the 4runner (mine) and the one for the fj but I am sure they will act very similar.

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
On my truck? No. For exhaust I have the long tubes and the urd y pipe with a stock catback. I have other misc bolt on stuff but for simplicities sake I'll stay with the exhaust modifications. The only thing that has changed between the two dyno's is the URD y pipe. I do not know the exact difference between the urd y pipe for the 4runner (mine) and the one for the fj but I am sure they will act very similar.
Great information! What are you running for a catalytic converter now and where is it placed in the system?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts