Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im posting this in general because its urgent, mods you can move this post later.
ok so Im a college kid who moved off to oregon with the cash in his pocket so I cant have a dealer fix me up because $$.
I was working on my 07 FJ and I disconnected the battery because I saw a huge rust spot in that area, I was gonna fix it but I didnt because I dont have the tools or time yet.
well I disconnected the neg lead and then stopped before the POS and just put it back on. started my fj and it idles at and under 500 rpm.
let it run for arounf 10 min and nothing has changed. I seriously need help. please no snarky responses or random comments.

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
G'Day
Tighten the neg BAT terminal, and even give it a wiggle....
Sounds like you have a poor ground after putting the NEG back on...
Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just for the record - mine does the same whenever I disconnect the battery. It tunes itself back to normal after a little time spent driving (no more than 1 - 1,5 hours). I thought this is normal, but after reading about your fix - would that mean my throttle is clogged? Hmm...

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
Just for the record - mine does the same whenever I disconnect the battery. It tunes itself back to normal after a little time spent driving (no more than 1 - 1,5 hours). I thought this is normal, but after reading about your fix - would that mean my throttle is clogged? Hmm...
As your throttle body gets dirty the PCM adjusts the idle to compensate. If you disconnect the battery this learned idle adjustment is lost. So yes, if your truck runs poorly after a battery disconnect you have a problem that the PCM is compensating for. It could be a dirty air cleaner, MAF sensor or throttle body. It could also be several other things. So start at the air filter and move forward from there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts