Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
I opted to just put on some thin sheet metal to protect the bottle. From what I have seen it holds up just fine. After +15k miles all I have had to do is put some washers on the shroud side of the plate. Its not going to protect it from anything massive but it has held up to a decent amount of brush hitting the plates.

I did opt to do it on both sides.

Here is the |link| It is installed really simplily, a few screws in the bumper a few in the wheel well. I didn't even paint it since I used galvanized sheet.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I am including this with this thread I started, but once the OEM front bumper was taken off and the Road Armor Front Bumper installed, there was nowhere to reattach the headlamp assembly at the top.

Is this typical and what solution have any of you implemented? I didn't even notice it until I took off on the highway last night driving 270 miles and saw how it looked like the light of my headlights were "jiggling" on the road signs ahead.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Looks goods.... Just a thought, the spacer lift has a design problem when used the way you are set up, you may want to think about coming up with away to add spacers to the back side of the front bump stops. Because your going to be leaving the pavement and you now have the added 260lbs hanging out front it is possible you will cross over bumps and dips big enough to bottom your front suspension. The Spacer lift has moved your front shocks down from the stock position. This makes them the "travel limit" in the event of bottoming, not the bump stops as intended, bottoming will damage or break your shocks and very likely strand you in the middle of nowhere.
I imagine if your a welding inspector you could fab up some spacers easily, the spacer should at least match the net height of the spacer installed on top of the shock, not the amount of lift gained. Depending on how the bumper effects the front suspension you may have to upgrade the front shocks and springs before long, that would be the time to abandon the spacer lift. Alternatively, cut your losses now, sell the spacers and install the correctly designed shocks/springs that provide the lift and can handle the added weight.
Modding is so much fun often one change leads to another, use this forum and the Search function for an amazing library of information of what is good and what is maybe not.
:cheers:

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I am including this with this thread I started, but once the OEM front bumper was taken off and the Road Armor Front Bumper installed, there was nowhere to reattach the headlamp assembly at the top.

Is this typical and what solution have any of you implemented? I didn't even notice it until I took off on the highway last night driving 270 miles and saw how it looked like the light of my headlights were "jiggling" on the road signs ahead.
Not a 100% sure but this sounds like and installation error!!.... There have been Hundreds off bumper changes of all different makes and styles. Not one time has anyone mentioned loose head lights. Also all of these bumpers are custom designed and made specifically for the FJ, I am positive there would be some hardware provided to correct this if the headlight mounts were effected. Check the installation, this sounds Wrong to me.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Looks goods.... Just a thought, the spacer lift has a design problem when used the way you are set up, you may want to think about coming up with away to add spacers to the back side of the front bump stops. Because your going to be leaving the pavement and you now have the added 260lbs hanging out front it is possible you will cross over bumps and dips big enough to bottom your front suspension. The Spacer lift has moved your front shocks down from the stock position. This makes them the "travel limit" in the event of bottoming, not the bump stops as intended, bottoming will damage or break your shocks and very likely strand you in the middle of nowhere.
I imagine if your a welding inspector you could fab up some spacers easily, the spacer should at least match the net height of the spacer installed on top of the shock, not the amount of lift gained. Depending on how the bumper effects the front suspension you may have to upgrade the front shocks and springs before long, that would be the time to abandon the spacer lift. Alternatively, cut your losses now, sell the spacers and install the correctly designed shocks/springs that provide the lift and can handle the added weight.
Modding is so much fun often one change leads to another, use this forum and the Search function for an amazing library of information of what is good and what is maybe not.
:cheers:
Thank you for your time and thought in writing this; I will take this into consideration..:grin

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Not a 100% sure but this sounds like and installation error!!.... There have been Hundreds off bumper changes of all different makes and styles. Not one time has anyone mentioned loose head lights. Also all of these bumpers are custom designed and made specifically for the FJ, I am positive there would be some hardware provided to correct this if the headlight mounts were effected. Check the installation, this sounds Wrong to me.
I agree, something seemed amiss to me as well although I couldn't quite put my finger on it. You did look at the photo I uploaded, right? It is like that on both sides and that's what's causing it to be loose. :frown

·
Registered
955 Posts
My favorite bumper by far.

Also, when factoring in your tire height, remember that a 1" taller tire only gives you .5" more ground clearance.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
My favorite bumper by far.

Also, when factoring in your tire height, remember that a 1" taller tire only gives you .5" more ground clearance.
When I wrote "I added 1" in height with the tires; I went from 265's to 285's." earlier, I had already figured the 1" in added height due to the difference between a 265 tire and a 285 tire is 2" in diameter, so it's an added 1" in height. :rocker:

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I don't have an answer about the head lights as I still have the stock bumper. I have done a couple of searches and only have found "MainSodas" bumper thread and info he posted above. It looks like there are new brackets to install going by his picture. I would think that the bumper installation instructions would detail the procedure if modification to brackets was required or new brackets provided .... I would start there and maybe contact the manufacture, there is no way they would have a product that leaves your headlights loose.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Ok all, the bumper of course is installed but I am not without conflict about some things. I won't go into too much here about it here but there is one thing I saw and wondered if it is typical of all the other Road Armor Front Bumper w/ Titan Guards...

I'll let the photographs do the talking...

Attachments

21 - 33 of 33 Posts