Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Got a 2007 FJ cruiser , i purchased this totally neglected vehicle from a old man who took zero care of the vehicle.

After i purchased , 2 months back I changed all transmission, transfer case, oils , practically all oils.

Today i thought to grease the vehicle.
1. I put vehicle in h4.
2. Drove to a small home ramp which lifted from 2 feet high and back wheels on ground.
3. Put grease into drive shaft nipple in front and saw drive shaft slowly going backwards as there was no grease earlier.
4. Wanted to rotate drive shaft and asked wife to turn on the car and put it in neutral.

That moment i saw some fluid gushing from back and when i off the car, flow stops. Its still oozing from that top part whwre tou can see from pics.

1.Does anyone know whats going on?
2.Is it safe to drive?
3. Lost a quart oil, should i refill it.
4 is it caused by greasing of drive shaft (i have done same ramp two weeks back and had no issues)

Waiting for your thoughts and advice

@FJtest

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now the brake lights are ON. I asked my wife to press brake pedal hard, will that broke it? Color of liquid is light green

·
Registered
456 Posts
Check the brake fluid reservoir. That's the brake line. But shouldn't be green.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Just googled green fluid. Apparently used recently in European cars. Previous owner must have swapped fluid type. Not sure putting DOT 4 (recommended for FJ) at this point would be good.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh is that right ? That makes sense as brake lights are ON. Took to Toyota for a full oil change, might be then they swapped. I truly hope it won't be a big expense. Thanks so much.

Also is it safe to drive to dealership, about 30 kms from home.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Dealer would have put in recommended DOT 4. Looks like your lines will need to be replaced if they are popping like that. If you have a soft pedal or no brakes I would not recommend driving. A soft pedal can turn into no pedal after a few kilometers.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Looks like either a leak at a brake line union, or a rust-generated pinhole in the brake hardline.

Given the severe level of corrosion everywhere, you're likely going to need to replace ALL the brake hardlines and associated fittings.

While you're under the vehicle, also check the transmission cooler and power steering hardlines, they may also be be corroded to the point of impending failure.

Note that the driveshaft slip-joint only requires a few strokes of the grease gun, you DO NOT want to fill it solid as then the slip joint can't move axially to accommodate rear suspension movement.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like either a leak at a brake line union, or a rust-generated pinhole in the brake hardline.

Given the severe level of corrosion everywhere, you're likely going to need to replace ALL the brake hardlines and associated fittings.

While you're under the vehicle, also check the transmission cooler and power steering hardlines, they may also be be corroded to the point of impending failure.

Note that the driveshaft slip-joint only requires a few strokes of the grease gun, you DO NOT want to fill it solid as then the slip joint can't move axially to accommodate rear suspension movement.
Thank you so much @FJtest . Looks like FJ going to put his hand on my wallet again

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
The cost of the new hard lines from Toyota is, in my experience with some other Toyota vehicles, pretty reasonable, like $20 or $40 each, the real cost is going to be in labor, especially on all of the fasteners holding it to the body, frame and axle which are rusted and might snap, requiring shop time to drill out and replace. Just an idea, but perhaps you can have them use plastic zip ties instead, to save labor (they don't move around during use, they just need to be tucked up so they don't ever catch on anything).

While replacing the hard lines, it is a good idea to also replace the rubber flex lines as well. There are 6 of them on an FJ (2 FR, 2Rr and 2 from the cab to the frame).

Those photos show a pretty rusty FJ, I hope there aren't any other rust related issues like this to come up in the future.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The cost of the new hard lines from Toyota is, in my experience with some other Toyota vehicles, pretty reasonable, like $20 or $40 each, the real cost is going to be in labor, especially on all of the fasteners holding it to the body, frame and axle which are rusted and might snap, requiring shop time to drill out and replace. Just an idea, but perhaps you can have them use plastic zip ties instead, to save labor (they don't move around during use, they just need to be tucked up so they don't ever catch on anything).

While replacing the hard lines, it is a good idea to also replace the rubber flex lines as well. There are 6 of them on an FJ (2 FR, 2Rr and 2 from the cab to the frame).

Those photos show a pretty rusty FJ, I hope there aren't any other rust related issues like this to come up in the future.
Thank you so much Norm. So glad to hear it won't cost a fortune. Yeah I will ask them to use zip ties if cost is an issue to snap it in place.

I purchased this abandoned and neglected FJ from a person two months back. From that time onwards, I put so much effort to bring it back to life and it's coming back to life pretty well now. I don't know, I felt bad for that Vehicle as it was treated in such a way. I am hoping I can save this vehicle. It was never cleaned for 17 years, he never off-road or anything but he was a farmer type person lived in rural area.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts