Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

USA Spec FJ Cruiser

6K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  FJ-GCC 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'm in the marker for a US spec FJ Cruiser. I'm here in Abu Dhabi. The reason for the US spec is that I'd like to be able to take the FJ back to the States with me in a year or two.

I know that you are required to provide the certificate of origin from the manufacturer, i.e. Toyota. Has anyone tried this? I contacted Toyota but I have not heard anything back yet. Are there any other requirements I'm missing?

Anyone know of any reputable car shops here in Abu Dhabi? In the States I do alot of my own maintenance but I've found here in UAE a more common practice is to simply take your vehicle in for work and maintenance.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

#2 ·
Hello Pete,

I think it will be quite hard to find a US Spec FJ here, they are very rare, I think I found only 1 instance of a US spec FJ here and it was located in Dubai. Finding a GCC Spec FJ here in Abu Dhabi is already quite a challenge, I ended up going to Dubai as there seems to be a better used FJ Cruiser market there than in Abu Dhabi. Also be aware that a US Spec vehicle here may give you some additional headaches in regards to Insurance. I know specifically they asked if the vehicle was a GCC Spec or US Spec, so there is a difference when insuring it... what that difference is... I am unsure of. It would be wise to verify the insurance requirements here for a US spec vehicle.

I would suggest you get in contact with an exporter to find out what is required... They will be able to help you in regards to the paper work and requirements for export to the US.

#3 ·
FJ GCC,

Thanks for the quick response. I have a lead on a FJ that was imported from the States. I'm going to call Toyota and see about getting the Certificate of Origin.

The only concern I have about the FJ is that the A/C doesn't blow cold. Speaking to the owner he said that he had freon put in it a few years ago. I'm sure as you know an A/C issue can be a 100 AED fix or a 3000 AED fix.

Do you have a place you go to to get your FJ worked on here in AD?

I'm going to see if he can get it inspected or fixed before I buy or try and get some money off of the price.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

#7 · (Edited)
FJ GCC,

Thanks for the quick response. I have a lead on a FJ that was imported from the States. I'm going to call Toyota and see about getting the Certificate of Origin.

The only concern I have about the FJ is that the A/C doesn't blow cold. Speaking to the owner he said that he had freon put in it a few years ago. I'm sure as you know an A/C issue can be a 100 AED fix or a 3000 AED fix.

Do you have a place you go to to get your FJ worked on here in AD?

I'm going to see if he can get it inspected or fixed before I buy or try and get some money off of the price.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
Also be aware that the US Spec AC compressor is not the same as the GCC one. So if it's a compressor issue you will have a very hard time getting a replacement, you might have to import it from the US and that will cost you 20% import duty plus 5% VAT, plus the hasstle of delivery (you know what I mean by that 😁). The GCC spec AC Compressor is massive compared to the US Spec. The AC issue could be that it can't cope with the heat here.

The only place I know is the toyota dealership... unfortunately they have a monopoly here... YMMV.

Your other option might be to get a GCC spec 2014 or earlier, as you might be able to prove like vehicles as the 2014 was available in the US. But again, you will have to talk to a bonded importer on what is allowed and they can guide you on the best route. You should probably talk to them anyway (its free advice) about the US Spec importing to the US and what paperwork you need. The last thing you want is to try and import it and you have issues because you don't have the right paperwork and items that need to be changed (ie tires... I think they have to be DOT and you won't get that here). You will need the correct paperwork for both exporting from UAE and importing to the US.

I bought a 2019 GCC spec, as I didn't want to hassle with having issue with out of warranty work. As you noted, it can become astronomical here for getting parts and labor charges as there is a import agreement between dealerships and some parts houses.

To summarize:

1. Check insurance for GCC vs US Spec in AD
2. Check Registration here in AD for US Spec. (RTA Inspection comes to mind)
3. Check Bonded Exporter for requirements to export from UAE and Import to USA.
4. Check Dealerships / Parts Houses for US Spec parts and availability.

Good luck to you on your purchase... as they say Inshallah... it will happen or won't....

#9 ·
Your most welcome... again good luck with the purchase and research. Hopefully we will see you out and about on the dunes for a desert BBQ when it cools down of course. 😅

Also about registration.... I don't know if you have bought a vehicle here before, but make sure that all debts and fines are paid off prior to transferring the registration. Otherwise you will inherit the fines... You don't want any surprises on that aspect.

#10 ·
So my search to the bottom of the internet continues.

@FJ-GCC thanks for the advice on looking in Dubai. I found this one up that way.

As far as I'm aware those are miles on the odometer, not kilometers. In the States that would be considered WAY high. His price point is 50K AED, about $13,500. That seems way high also.

Not sure how it goes as far as price negotiations here in the UAE. Do most dealerships mark the prices super high?

Carreport says at most the vehicle should be 35K AED.

A shot in the dark but anyone know the previous owner by any chance? I know a well maintained high mile vehicle is better than a lower mile poorly maintained vehicle.

Either way I'll have to go through the headache of tracking the the Certificate of Origin from the States. Spent over five hours with Toyota USA HQ and no movement yet.

Thanks,

Pete

#11 ·
Just a word of advice, check the US spec vehicles for accident reports. Some less than scrupulous people import write-offs, repair them, and sell them on.
Check the engine & vin numbers match records and look for signs of a cut & shut...

#12 ·
If you buy a decent US Spec vehicle, you can swap the radiators, AC components, rear axle, etc for GCC spec.

#14 ·
I don't see why not. I wouldn't go changing anything to do with the pollution system or adding fuel tanks etc though...

#15 ·
I think I'm one step closer to buying a US specs FJ Cruiser. I'm scheduled to meet the owner in Dubai next Saturday to have the vehicle inspected and titled.

Can anyone provide a decent mechanical shop in Dubai? I'd like to get the A/C fixed before driving it down to Abu Dhabi. It's a small thing but also simultaneously a big thing.

Thanks and hope this comes together.

Pete

#16 ·
I'd like to get the A/C fixed before driving it down to Abu Dhabi
You will not be able to drive it down to Abu Dhabi... If you are registering it in Abu Dhabi...
Normally you will have to get an vehicle export certificate and the Dubai plates will be removed. If you have a Abu Dhabi visa you will not be able to register the vehicle in Dubai only in Abu Dhabi. You will have to have the vehicle transported on a flat bed truck to Abu Dhabi. Then you will have to have it inspected here by RTA and registered and plated here in Abu Dhabi after you have taken care of the insurance (insurance certificate).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.