Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed USB charge ports housed in a rocker switch that fits nicely in the lower center panel. It was free.

Looks good but it takes forever to charge anything or even keep up with a call.

I want to replace with better.

What specs should I be looking for?

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
You need one that is capable of supplying more amps. Modern devices have bigger batteries and more power requirements. Not sure which one you have but a lot of them are only like 1 amp and that barely cuts it.

Look for something around 2.1 amps. I even have a 3.1 amp in the storage part of my center console, but I don't know if that is 3.1 amps per usb outlet or divided between the two..... my phone gets fairly warm when charging.... not sure if that's a good thing!

·
Premium Member
11,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm looking at one from Blue Sea Sytems:

PN 1045
Socket mount dual fast charge

Would like to replace the 12v socket with this.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,955 Posts
I'm looking at one from Blue Sea Sytems:

PN 1045
Socket mount dual fast charge

Would like to replace the 12v socket with this.
G'day Mikey,
This will work just fine for you.
The only two downsides I can see with the 1045, is that you will have to drill a hole some where to fit it, being round its never gonna fit in a switch slot, :lol: but might fit the power socket hole...
And its 2 inches deep, which is quite long, but then it does have thermal protection built in and Blue Seas smarts ...etc.....
so you will need a fair bit of space behind it to make it fit.
but power wise its going to juice up your devices quick n easy.

cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Premium Member
11,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
G'day Mikey,
This will work just fine for you.
The only two downsides I can see with the 1045, is that you will have to drill a hole some where to fit it, being round its never gonna fit in a switch slot, :lol: but might fit the power socket hole...
And its 2 inches deep, which is quite long, but then it does have thermal protection built in and Blue Seas smarts ...etc.....
so you will need a fair bit of space behind it to make it fit.
but power wise its going to juice up your devices quick n easy.

cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

Hey now....I know you can't shove a round peg in a square hole.

The length is fine, going to check the OD of the 12v plug, to my eye it looks close. Measure twice cut once.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Thanks. I thought about doing that too, in the center console,but I don't leave stuff in the car charging when I'm not in it.
Agreed, mine's wired to ignition to avoid torching the FJ.

The round USB fits the dash rounds well (no trimming, just move/tape existing lights/shroud back), saving the other sockets for much needed switches. Top USB serves the android head unit expanded memory and is not high power. Lower USB is 4.2 amps and charges pads well. Volt meter is drawn down with USB load and not consistent with other meters, they should have isolated the meter circuit... Neither the switch shaped or round 4.2 USB ports generate RF interference like a few of the 12V socket types I have had. It's all wired to ignition to avoid draw downs or battery charging flare ups. Pip'd because I like it.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I installed the same USB charge port posted by NVDojo. It has two blue led lights in the middle that were really bright at night. Blacked them out with a little black paint pen and now works great. Iphone7 will charge fine at 1 amp and apple tablets charge at 2.1 amps. If you look on the back of the charging blocks it'll tell you the output of the charging device.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I installed the same USB charge port posted by NVDojo. It has two blue led lights in the middle that were really bright at night. Blacked them out with a little black paint pen and now works great. Iphone7 will charge fine at 1 amp and apple tablets charge at 2.1 amps. If you look on the back of the charging blocks it'll tell you the output of the charging device.
That looks exactly like what I have right now. Yesterday I plugged my phone into the charger:

Had 30% charge left
It was going to take 3:45.00 to charge the phone.

It's coming out.

·
Premium Member
11,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Premium Member
11,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I saw a quick review of the volt meter on YouTube and the OLED is cool.

Honestly don't Breed the volt meter but just had to instal something in the dash panel.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts