Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since getting my FJ 3 years ago I've noticed the USB charger was painstakingly slow (charging and IPhone)!

If I use WAZE while driving I will still loose percentage!

I have recently been more irritated with this and tried to search around here with no luck at finding anyone else with the problem.

So, does anyone else notice a slow charge? What can I do to upgrade it? If you had to guess, it is the actual USB port or something beyond that (fuse, wiring?)

If I switch to a double USB port, would this help? I've seen a few on Ebay, any recommendations?

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,939 Posts
Do you have the AC outlet in the back? Run an extension cord up to the front area and just use your wall charger.

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
Since getting my FJ 3 years ago I've noticed the USB charger was painstakingly slow (charging and IPhone)!

If I use WAZE while driving I will still loose percentage!

I have recently been more irritated with this and tried to search around here with no luck at finding anyone else with the problem.

So, does anyone else notice a slow charge?
Most of the early generation USB integrations in cars were more about providing a connection than charging. Most of them are providing 0.5 amps, if not less. That's why it's charging slow, especially on the newer / larger phones with big screens that use a lot of power.

Next time you're home, pull your wall charger and check the amperage, it'll be anywhere from 1 to 3+ amps if your phone is newer. You need a charger that puts out more amps.

What can I do to upgrade it? If you had to guess, it is the actual USB port or something beyond that (fuse, wiring?)

If I switch to a double USB port, would this help? I've seen a few on Ebay, any recommendations?
Edit: added photo

Amazon - Toyota USB Power Socket

$11-16 depending on which one you go with, charges at 2.1 amps (same as most home wall chargers), and fits in the FJ's center console under the radio next to the ATRAC and RR DIFF LOCK buttons. Some people like the ones with LEDs in them, other people don't. Read the reviews on fitment, quality, lights etc before buying. This one has a review showing it installed in an FJ Cruiser.

The one I bought from Amazon isn't made any more, but it's basically the same as any one of these. Obviously, using any of these means your phone isn't connected to your car stereo anymore, but you should be using bluetooth for that anyway.

None of these come with great installation instructions, and a quick search of the forums shows no great thread for that as well. This post thanks to @LandCruiserSteve shows how to remove the center console, for wiring you'll either need to splice into a 12V power (cigarette lighter is most common) or run the wiring to your fuse box and use an add-a-fuse. If all of that ^^^ is greek to you, make friends with a local radio installer / electronics nut.

Good luck!

·
Registered
709 Posts
USB is about as slow a charge as you can get, usually about 0.5 amps. No way is that going to keep up with hard use on your phone. Get a car charger cable that works with your phone and plug it into the power port next to the USB if you are going to do maps, music, etc. while you drive.

I run maps, navigation, and Pandora on mine all the time and as long as I have it plugged into the actual power port, it'll actually charge the phone all the way up even while I'm using it.

USB is more of a trickle charge for when you don't have access to actual AC power.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Why couldn't I find that post yesterday? I just installed that exact USB port and fought to get it tapped into the cigarette lighter wiring.

Most of the early generation USB integrations in cars were more about providing a connection than charging. Most of them are providing 0.5 amps, if not less. That's why it's charging slow, especially on the newer / larger phones with big screens that use a lot of power.

Next time you're home, pull your wall charger and check the amperage, it'll be anywhere from 1 to 3+ amps if your phone is newer. You need a charger that puts out more amps.

Edit: added photo

Amazon - Toyota USB Power Socket

$11-16 depending on which one you go with, charges at 2.1 amps (same as most home wall chargers), and fits in the FJ's center console under the radio next to the ATRAC and RR DIFF LOCK buttons. Some people like the ones with LEDs in them, other people don't. Read the reviews on fitment, quality, lights etc before buying. This one has a review showing it installed in an FJ Cruiser.

The one I bought from Amazon isn't made any more, but it's basically the same as any one of these. Obviously, using any of these means your phone isn't connected to your car stereo anymore, but you should be using bluetooth for that anyway.

None of these come with great installation instructions, and a quick search of the forums shows no great thread for that as well. This post thanks to @LandCruiserSteve shows how to remove the center console, for wiring you'll either need to splice into a 12V power (cigarette lighter is most common) or run the wiring to your fuse box and use an add-a-fuse. If all of that ^^^ is greek to you, make friends with a local radio installer / electronics nut.

Good luck!

·
Registered
93 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you dont smoke or have other use for the cigarette lighter, this is a good dual USB replacement, I put in in my FJ last year and have had no issues. Anything I would use a cigarette adapter for usually has a USB option anyway and is less bulky. I had to open up the opening a bit with a file after removing the cigarette lighter, but that took about 30 seconds and was very minor.

http://www.amazon.com/Foxnovo-Porta...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

Foxnovo Portable Waterproof Blue LED 12-24V Car Motorcycle Cigarette Lighter Socket Dual USB Power Adapter Charger Outlet (Black)
Color: mainly black. Material: durable hard plastic and metal.
Input: 6-28V. USB output voltage: DC 5V; Dual USB output current: 2.1A 1.0A (3.1A in total)
Easy to install, widely applied in 12V-24V motorcycle, car, cross bike, scooters, etc.
Dual USB output design allows it to charge 2 USB devices simultaneously.
Perfect for an on the go family that requires multiple chargers for your iPad, iPhone, cellphone, MP3, GPS, camera, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts