Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Figured I would highlite this here instead of it being buried in another thread.

Installed a USB charge port and OLED Volt Meter in the 2 circles (airbag on/off & alarm) on the center dash panel.

Credit for the idea goes to thane.

Install is super simple: no cutting, drilling, gluing, etc.

Follow the steps in this thread on removing the center panel:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/how-technical-articles/55663-dash-console-door-panels-removal-inst-w-pics.html

The 2 lights are on a flat panel that pops out and can be taped up behind the HVAC controls.

·
Premium Member
11,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Premium Member
11,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The OLED meter comes with a cushion ring backing allowing for mounting on uneven surfaces - take it off, with it the gauge sits fairly proud.

The USB comes with a rubber cover - take it off, the port will sit much better in the hole.

·
Premium Member
10,901 Posts
G'day Mikey,
Looks great mate
does the seat belt buzzer still sound off ?
or did you remove the buzz n light completely?
Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Premium Member
11,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's still there, tucked up behind the panel. It's a ribbon cable that runs that display not sure how/if things would still function if it was removed.

·
Desert Moderator
6,065 Posts
G'day Mikey,
Looks great mate
does the seat belt buzzer still sound off ?
or did you remove the buzz n light completely?
Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:
Easiest way to kill the passenger seatbelt buzzer is to disconnect the sensor plug under the seat, although it might also disable the passenger airbag.
I unplugged mine because the pooch rides shotgun and refuses to sit anywhere else...

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I want to do the same bro! Looks great! Nice way for me to get the aux battery readout in the dash. Also want as much info on the wire up as possible.

Mike

·
Premium Member
11,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The install is crazy easy. Remove the center dash panel as shown in the link on the first post.
Once you have it free, on the backside you will see a black cover that just snaps in place and easily removed. There is a flat panel that houses the air bag light and blank location there is also a ribbon cable running to it. The ribbon cable is long enough that you can place the panel on top of the backside of the HVAC control and tape it in place. No need to disconnect/remove makes it completely reversible.

The USB port and voltmeter drop in from the front and are locked in place with lock ring which screws on from the back.
Ditch the rubber ring/cover from the USB port, it just fits cleaner with out it. Nestles right into the space.
The voltmeter is a little bigger in dia and sits on top of the panel not in the hole.On the Voltmeter, ditch the foam gasket. With it the voltmeter sticks out to proud.

Both are simple 2 wire hook ups, 1+ & 1-

The power input, dealers choice. Dual battery monitoring (dual gauges) would run 1+ from each battery to its own meter.
Single gauge to watch voltage you could run direct to the battery or tie into an empty fuse location under the dash.
Ground, plenty of places to tie into, again dealers choice.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Hmmm wired up but it's not giving me a sign of life. I hooked up the s + to an Addacircuit to the fuse panel (for the time being) to a key/ign slot. The neg - went that the to a bolt on the A pillar that I sanded to bare metal. What gives. I've seen the a pillar be used as a ground point before. Any Advice?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not sure, only difference is I used a ground point that was under the center console.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts